DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Healthy snacks for school

My ds is going to a Mother's Day Out program 1 day a week starting next week. We are asked to help provide snacks for all the children; the paperwork said we have to provide enough for 45 kids. Since they are a licensed facility, the snacks have to be store-bought/prepackaged. The sight of peanut butter crackers on open house day has me in a tizzy. My "freak" ds is already on the allergy list for no nuts and no juice; I was a little shocked that they are going to serve peanut products to a group of such little ones.

I need snack ideas! Something resembling safe and healthy would be nice. I have access to two major grocery chains (Dominicks and Jewel/Albertsons), Trader Joes, and even Whole Foods if I feel like a long drive.

TIA!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Healthy snacks for school

Well, Whole Foods has great snacks. They have a whole "Whole Kids" line that has snacks. They have great cereal bars (way few extra ingredients when compared to the mainstream option) and those would be a hit. A box of 6 is about $1.75.

Boy, I always think of a homemade snack so I am stumped. Could you bring in crackers and prepackaged cheese slices? Just assemble there? No fruit allowed? That would be what I would do- fruit, cheese and crackers. Hummus and pita bread could be a good option.

Good luck!
    Beth

mom2kandj Guest

Default RE: Healthy snacks for school

Prepackaged snacks are expensive, but my little guy loves Fruit Leather. I think a box of 12 at WH would run you about $3.50. Also, if the kids are over 3, Costco sells dried fruit in little individual boxes(boxed raisins, apricots, cherries, golden raisins) but I'm sure that you can get that kind of snack at a regular store.

HTH!

Rose
    mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
    & Jack 04/16/02