Thread: Time out

luvtobeamom Guest

Default Time out

My 2 1/2 y.o. son won't stay in one place for his time outs. He just gets up and runs while screaming and having a tantrum. I have heard not to use corners or their rooms. I had been trying to use the hallway. Any suggestions?

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Time out

What I do with my 2 year old son is to stay with him (block his exit) if he is trying to move away. We have a corner between a bathroom and a bedroom off the living room. So I would just close the doors to the bedroom and bathroom and put him there. Sometimes he stays there by himself, sometimes he doesn't. DH will just keep bringing him back, but I just sit with him, but not entertaining him.

HTH!
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

713abc is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I was having a tough time with time outs, because DS would do the same as your son. Then I switched to using his room and have been REALLY happy. It seems to work very well for us. Before I'd stress out everytime I'd give a time out because it was hard to get him to stay put. Once I made the switch, it took the anxiety out of it for me.

I read the Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood book, which helped me a lot too.

Mom to Max, 05/28/03

sugarsnappea Guest

Personally, I think 2 1/2 is too young for a time-out. At that age no child will sit still. Can you use a different technique?

bunnisa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We do time outs in a chair in the foyer (centrally located so I can keep an eye on him but not "interact" with i.e. entertain him). We set the timer on the oven and he knows he can get up when it beeps. If he gets down, we tell him he has to sit longer and we extend the time by a minute or two. If he again disobeys, up he goes to his bedroom for a time out. He'll ask for various things along the way, to which the response is, "No toys during time out. Time out is boring!"

If he's throwing a fit, I will put him in his bed and tell him that I will get him once he calms down.

After a bit of downtime (when he's calm), I'll go back and get him. At that point, we rehash the infraction: "Your time out all done! Why did you have a timeout?" He will (90% of the time) respond with the correct answer. If not, I will explain again "You got a time out because you disobeyed mama. You did (or didn't do) X. It is important to obey Mama. I love you! Let's try again!"

At that point we go downstairs and do a "re-enactment" of the infraction. For example, if he ran away from me when I called him, I'll put him back where he was, and I'll go back where I was. I'll say, "Let's try again!" and call him. At this point, he'll cheerfully obey (hasn't failed yet!), and I'll praise him lavishly.

Now of course each child is unique, but this works well for several friends of ours, too! HTH somewhat.

Bethany
    mom to one and one on the way!
    http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
    "And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
    -J. Torres

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not sure I see a difference between using the hallway or a room?

At this age, time outs should be opportunities to collect themselves, so putting a child in one place and making him stay there is not really going to allow them to collect themself, KWIM? They aren't supposed to be about punishment, but about calming down to the point where you can discuss it rationally (well, as rationally as any toddler can.)

At daycare, they have "quiet areas" where the child can go on their own to calm down. They may suggest that the child take quiet time, but never force it.

Jack actually calms down better if I allow him to come get a hug. If he starts to tantrum, I remind him that he needs to calm down so we can talk and he usually comes over with arms open. I hold him until he is calm and then we talk about whatever it was. Has worked every time so far, except once when I was late for work and couldn't stay to make it work.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 2 years & counting