OctoberPrincess Guest

Default How do you handle an 18 month old that will not go in stroller?

I have a Graco Metrolite and Mac Techno XT, DS will not even allow me to strap him into the Techno and will only tolerate the Metrolite in short spurts (like 10-15 minutes). How do you get anything done outside of the house with a young child that will not sit in his stroller? I would love to just ignore him but it's hard to do when he's arching his back, screaming, and leaning over the edge of the stroller. I was considering selling the Mac since I've only used it for 3 months (before DS decided to hate strollers), and I took him to BRU yesterday to see if he liked any of the strollers but he wouldn't even let me sit him in one. Sad as it is I'm pretty certain my DS just does not like to be contained in a stroller.

Does anyone else have a child like this, he's a bit young to have him just walk through the mall/store with me...it's not like he will just stay put while I shop.....so what do I do????

HELP!!!

sarasprings Guest

Default RE: How do you handle an 18 month old that will not go in stroller?

My son was exactly like this and he was/is a wild man, so we couldn't let him walk. My husband and I just carried him in a hip hammock. It was really the only solution that we could think of, so luckily it worked. We used it until DS was over 25 lbs easily. Now he walks and holds our hand -- and likes riding in a stroller occasionally.

OctoberPrincess Guest

I actually have something similar to a hip hammock from One Step Ahead, I used it often when he was 8-12 months old. I guess I will try to find it, not sure why I stopped using it but I know it goes up to something like 35 lbs. Thanks!

CiderLogan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just wanted to say that my DD went through this stage at about your DS's age - she hated the stroller, and it was rarely worth getting her into it as she would whine and scream to get out and I would get nothing done! Try bribing him with snacks or toys when you really need to do something. Also, I sometimes had to pretty much force my DD into her stroller. BUT I wanted to say that she does much better in it now! She almost always just walks now, but when I need to push her instead, she handles it much better than before. So there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Also, if you have to have him walk, try this trick: I tell my DD to hold onto my purse or my pocket while I am paying for something or otherwise can't hold her hand. She somehow thinks that's fun and a treat, so it works!

Jenny
    Mom to Julia, 8/03
    ...and another one due 5/29/06!