Default What's the story with Power Rangers?

Are the "bad" or "good"? DH's cousins 4 year old collected them, and his parents are making him give 3 to Carson each time we see them. They were SHOCKED that Carson didn't already have a collection... ummmm... he's *2*! We didn't even know what they were. So, we have a few and DS just kind of carries them around and plays with them like normal dolls, but doesn't know anything about them.

But then I read an article in February's Parents that refers to Power Rangers as not a choice toy.

So, I'm wondering... are they violent?
    --Julie
    Proud Mommy of C & W
    Owner, Precious Personalities
    My blog (which desparately needs to be updated)

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: What's the story with Power Rangers?

Power Rangers are not at the top of my toy list. It's been forever since I've seen an episode, but they were popular years ago when I was working with preschoolers. I remember noticing that Power Ranger play was much more aggressive than other kinds of play. I can't say for certain that they were violent, but I suspect that they were. I even have a vague recollection of studies done supporting the fact that viewing Power Rangers on TV led to more aggressive play. Maybe somebody else knows more.

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yes, it is a violent show in the sense that the group of "good" guys run around destroying "bad" guys with things like power swords, laser guns, robots, etc. IMO appropriate for a older child, but not a 2yo (or even a 4yo for that matter). Not to mention most of those toys aren't safe for children younger than 3 because of small parts!

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    DD 3/03
    DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was coming to post this same question!!! Nick came home from school the other day wanting to play "Powangers." It took me a moment before I realized what he was talking about, so I asked him how you play. Well, he just ran around in circles b/c he doesn't know what they are. So, a few days later, we went to the house of his best buddy from school and he has a billion Power Ranger toys (he is 3, but has an older 9 yo brother, so that explains some). I was shocked when I saw Nick running around with a sword and the friend falling to ground yelling, "You killed me!." Nick has been asking for Power Ranger stuff every day since then. :(.

I am really beginning to feel like the only one around whose son doesn't watch this, Spiderman or Star Wars, but I honestly thought these were for much older kids.

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

*ugh!*

ITA! I h-a-t-e the whole Power Rangers phenomenon. DS is still in his little entertainment cocoon where Baby Einstein is still cool, but the other kids in his preschool classroom (mixed ages 3 to 5) LOVE them and want to play all the time (especially kids with older siblings, like a PP mentioned.) Of course this involves "killing bad guys", falling on the floor "dying", and playing with guns. (Although DS has tried to convince me that "they don't shoot guns...they fight with their hands and feet", i.e. martial arts, LOL!) It makes me nuts. DH and I just reinforce that that's not how we play with each other, and that Power Rangers are for "big kids". So far, DS is buying it, but darnit!, when those Disney catalogs come he begs for the Power Ranger stuff. I just console myself with the fact that he hasn't actually seen it on TV or elsewhere, so he doesn't really "get it".

BTW Susan--you're not the only one whose son doesn't watch super hero stuff. My SIL got DS Batman toys for Christmas. We thanked her, then I promptly took them back to TRU for store credit! ;)

Nicole
    Mommy to Jackson 4/30/02

lukkykatt Guest

My boys love the Power Rangers, and that was what they both dressed up for at Halloween. However, they somehow just latched onto that costume from seeing it in a magazine. They have never watched the show, and they have no idea what the Power Rangers are about (and my older son just turned 6). Nor will they be watching the show anytime in the near future...

They also have some of the figures, but they think they are kind of the same as Rescue Heroes.

And, for the record, my older son got a Rescue Hero when he was 3, and didn't really start playing with it (and wanting more) until he was about 3.5 or 4. Most 2 year olds are not interested in action figures, no matter what kind of message they are associated with.

You could always just put them away for later when she gives them to you? And I agree with a PP that alot of the accessories are too small for a 2 yo anyway.