Mabster is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Transition to twin bed - keeping your kid in bed & headboard slats? (X-Post from Toddler Bedding)

Well, DD fell out of her crib a few weeks before Christmas. We immediately took down the crib and DD has been sleeping on her crib mattress on the floor. I finally chose a new twin sized bed and it is being delivered on Friday.

I'm debating how to set up her bed. We have a metal bedframe and DH's headboard. The mattress is 12" thick and boxspring 9". I'm debating whether I should put the set on the metal frame, place the boxsping with mattress on the floor, or just use the mattress alone on the floor. Currently DD stays in bed about 50% of the time, but I often hear her running around after putting her down, and I also find her pillow, blankets & teddy on the floor next to the mattress or behind the door, making me wonder if she sleeps on her mattress at all. DH theorizes that he doesn't want to make it too easy for her to get out & about, with the thought if she gets out of bed but can't get back in, she'll learn to stay in bed. I wonder if we make it too hard for her to get back in bed will she continue getting out then sleep on the floor all the time? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I'm toying about ordering a Snug Tuck as well. Haven't decided yet - I may try the pool noodle/towel method first.

Also, DH's headboard is a slat board from the mid 60's. Do the crib safety regulations govern headboards for toddlers as well? Should I just nix the headboard altogether?

Thanks in advance!

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Transition to twin bed - keeping your kid in bed & headboard slats? (X-Post from Toddler Bedding)

We got a big bed for DD a few months ago and got a rail for it as she is a squirmy sleeper and I didn't want her to fall out. I'd like to say it keeps her in bed but she gets up in the night and climbs into bed with us, but it does stop her rolling out! I don't know anything about the headboard, I wouldn't think that would be safety governed and it wouldn't make a difference to staying in bed, so if you like it I think it'd be fine to use it.....I'm no expert though.