Default any ideas for cute christmas cards?

I liked the idea in the lounge about making reindeer faces with babys hands and feet.....any other similar type ideas to make christmas cards to include baby? Pictures, hands or feet etc?

kathsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: any ideas for cute christmas cards?

Hi, Kathryn!

I am so uncrafty it's pathetic, but here is an idea that some friends of ours did for Christmas one year. They took a family photo and got reprints made. They attached the picture to card stock the size of a post card and put a ribbon on it over the picture. On the reverse side, they divided it like a post card with a place for a small message and address of the recipient. I thought it was very cute!

Other friends take pictures of their family and kids throughout the year with their digital camera and put together a collage of pictures on regular computer paper with a holiday greeting message. We get to see how they spent time on vacation, at events, and celebrations.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if I come across anything, I'll be sure to post more!

Take care and HTH!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Just a note that you can't do much with newborn hands - they pretty much keep them in fists all the time. But newborn feet make great stamps!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

sarasprings Guest

I've seen hands used for angels, as well. With the hand pointing down, the pinky and thumb point out to make the arms.

amp Guest

Okay, I used to be a teacher in the 1 yr. old classroom at a daycare. Some of these ideas use more than one handprint/footprint, but here's what I have in my file....

The Handprint Reindeer mentioned. Make a handprint, fingers down and together in dark brown, for the face (fingers together tightly at the bottom make the face taper a bit like a muzzle of the deer). Antlers made from each hand, fingers spread out, in a lighter brown/beige/tan.
    Handprint wreath. Green handsprints go sideways so that the heel of the next handprint touches the fingers of the last and so on. The fingers kind of become the branches of a wreath. Draw/paint a bow or add a real one. My daycare kids did this and we hung it in the room for the holidays. Cute!

Holiday Tree. Green handprints with heels of hands in center and fingers pointing out and angling up a bit to make a pine tree. If you do this with different age children, smallest hands go on top. If not, just overlap the hands more at the top, so the tree tapers. Ornaments can be done with fingerprints in different colors.

Use kids artwork, fingerpainting (in holiday colors) or handprint/footprint paper for wrapping paper.

Also, at craft stores and in One Step Ahead catalog you can make a plaster handprint/footprint ornament with a ribbon to hang it.

I like the idea of just making a footprint or handprint on cardstock to make you holiday cards. We did this for our birth annoucements. We used an actual footprint and scanned it in so we didn't have to keep using his actual foot.

Or how about a picture of your child dressed for the holiday or holding something festive, like a reindeer stuffed animal, ornament, etc. or holdinga Happy Holidays sign attached to cardstock and made in to a card. There are all kids of variations on this.

Jen in Chicago Guest

I love all of the ideas mentioned. I can get good stamps of footprints when Jude is in his exersaucer.

I have a stack of notecards I made with his footprint that I use for all occassions.

I just ordered brown washable ink from Stampin Up to make handprint Turkeys for Thanksgiving cards. I think I will use it for the reindeer too. I have white ink I could use for the angels. I think I may need to call and get some green ink now too!

I am so excited about this new forum!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just another spin on these ideas...not much different but I thought I'd add it. I got my new Country Living (december's issue) magazine yesterday, and in there they had some "paper craft" ideas. On page 22, one was homemade christmas cards, where the artist used her thumbprint (inked it on a black stamp pad) horiztontally as a reindeer body, and her pinky print as the reindeer head. She drew a very primitive reindeer by adding simple horns, tail, legs and a red dot for a nose on there. The woman who made them is actually the food and entertaining director at Williams Sonoma. Very simple but very cute. If you had older kids this would be cute to do. Hard to do w/ a newborn though. :)

Beth