peanut4us Guest

Default Anyone making something special for the holidays because of their new little one?

I am so beyond excited about Christmas this year beacuse of Sara. I can't wait. Usually I am the kind of person that gets all bent out of shape if I see Christmas anything before November!

This year, i am making all of us (me, dh, and Sara) our own Christmas stockings. It's a little thing, but I am trying to make them really beautiful, something she can have for her whole childhood.

So are you guys doing aything? I'm also trying to think of Christmas decorations (not for the tree) that I can make using fabric that I already have. Any ideas?

Default RE: Anyone making something special for the holidays because of their new little one?

I love the stocking idea - my mom made me one and I still use it at age 29 :) Not sure what we're goin to do (other than homemade cards). As for other craft ideas, if you are feeling fairly ambitious you can make an advent calendar. One large piece as backing then 24 small "pockets", or 3 long strips sewn on horizontally and divided into 8 pockets each. Mom (again - she's very crafty) made one out of felt that had a tree with sequins sewn onto it, mini ornaments (purchased at craft store) in the pockets were hung on the "tree" by the sequins. We loved using it as kids and always fought over who's turn it was to hang the ornament! I think that you don't necessarily need to tree on there. It could be simple like (for older kids) a piece of candy in the pocket, or a sticker to go on the calendar, etc.
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Jen in Chicago Guest

Default RE: Anyone making something special for the holidays because of their new little one?

My nieces and nephews love their "pillows" I made them. I bought pillow forms and on occassion make them new cases. "Pillow" joins them for naps, at bedtime,... The cases can be washed, and so can the pillows. I don't know what they would do without "blankie and pillow."

For my niece we gave her a sleeping bag and I made a pillow case and bag to match.

I love the stocking idea. I have been wanting to make some for years. Maybe this year I should really do it and not just talk about it.