s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Cootie Cover makers - question for you

Question for all of you who posted in my other thread in the "Other Gear To Go" forum about making your own cart covers...

Edited to note:
    Found a better buckle at Walmart's craft dept. Annoying thing is that both the new buckle and the old buckle are made by the same company! Only difference is that the crappy buckle was made in Italy and the good new one was make in the USA. Go figure. You'd think a manufacturer would try to have some uniformity in their product regardless of where it was made! Oh well, life goes on... :)

I finally got around to finishing my cover today (yipee). I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, but am pending true delight on a field test.

Here's my problem though: the little buckle I bought to go on the belting is terrible! The belting just slides right through if you pull on it in the slightest. With DD as squirmy as she is, I have no doubt she'd manage to loosen it just by moving around.

Have any of you found really good buckles anywhere?

TIA,
    Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Cootie Cover makers - question for you

I didn't make my own cover, but didn't like the belt/buckle that came with the cover that I bought. I found a much better one at BRU for about $4, near the shopping cart covers. This one has the two plastic pieces that click together, so you don't have to adjust the belt every time, just unclick and then click. Hope that makes sense!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Can't answer your question, but was therea pattern you used? Any free patterns out there? TIA.
    Megulis
    Mother of 2 boys & girl, 9/03, 1/06, & 8/08

Yes, there are free patterns available, but they are only for the cart "covers" that do not cover the entire seat area. I posted a link to a free one in my other thread (see the link to that below).

If you're looking for one that covers the entire area, then there are patterns available for a charge. (I seriously searched for a couple months for a free one and never found one.) Several of us here have used one called a Cootie Cover, that is sold on ebay for $15 ($11 + 4 s&h). Here's a link to one of her auctions: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2357587623 . She always has several auctions going for the pattern. (There is another person selling what appears to be a similar pattern on ebay, but I haven't come across anyone who has that one yet.)

Here's a link to my original thread:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar..._id=456&page=2

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

I am still trying to get around to making the cover, but I have the buckle already. It is the same kind I used on a backpack I made. It has 2 pieces that snap together. You wind the strap through it and then sew the strap together around the buckle. It won't move and is very secure.

Beth
    mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

Hey Beth, I was wondering if you had made your covers yet! You're were right about the instructions being a little vague, but I did a some customizing to my cover, so I didn't follow the instructions exactly anyway. I can't wait to try it out once I get this buckle thing solved. Hopefully I'll find a better one tomorrow. (My buckle is two pieces, but if I sew the belt around it, it won't be adjustable...)

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

Thanks for tghe patterns!
    Megulis
    Mother of 2 boys & girl, 9/03, 1/06, & 8/08