Thread: Time Capsules

vikivoly Guest

Default Time Capsules

For DD's first birthday I asked my guests to bring something to be put into a time capsule for her that will be opened on her 18th birthday. To my suprise, everyone actually made a contribution. I asked them to bring it already sealed in an envelope so there would be no peeking. Now I need something to preserve the stuff in. All of the items are fairly flat. The largest item is in a 10x12 bubble envelope. I looked up time capsules on the internet and everything is made for burial preservantion to last 100 years. Mine only needs to last 17 years and I intend on keeping it hidden somewhere in my home (we'll see how long that lasts!). I've seen the baby ones that are tin tubes, but I would need something larger. Would a larger tin work? What about a large tyvek envelope used for shipping? or should I get a mylar envelope? Any ideas of how to keep the items from deteriorating inside? Any advice is appreciated and needed soon - I'm already getting itchy fingers to break open the envelopes!

amp Guest

Default RE: Time Capsules

You could use an envelope or even a cute little box or keepsake style box. Or any cute little decorative tin (like for candy or other doodads). I guess I would go with a tin or box so that you could stack it somewhere without the stuff inside getting crushed.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Time Capsules

I'd go with an acid free archival box. I got one for my wedding a few years back but don't remember the company name. But if you search on acid free archival box, you will find tons of options on the internet.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009