Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Christmas Ornaments

I want to make a Christmas ornament for each of the babies/moms in my playgroup, and include the baby's name and the year. I don't know anything about this... any cute, inexpensive suggestions?
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: Christmas Ornaments

Salt dough ornaments are very inexpensive to make. Don't know how many kids there are in your play group, but you could make little cartoon-type babies and then color each one to match the baby (hair color, eye color, etc.) and put their names/date on them. (We had another thread in this section you can refer to for the receipe/instructions.)

I also saw some ornaments in a catalog for personalized stuff where they just wrote the baby's name and date on a colored bulb ornament in fancy writing. They look very pretty too.

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

Jen in Chicago Guest

I am thinking of doing salt dough ornaments. I think I may make a bunch of stars and hearts for a similar thing and paint names/dates/etc on them. I am one who likes to mass produce things, I am not into little details.

mom2kandj Guest

I did photo transparency ornaments this year for all my friends. Basically it is a clear glass ball with a photo printed on clear plastic that is cut to fit inside the ball. The transparency film runs about $10 and then you have to buy clear glass ornaments, but I get mine at Michaels 12 for $5. They are really pretty and we make them for family too. I usually embellish them with a bit of ribbon and use a Deco paint pen to write the year/name. I have instructions and a template that I can email if needed! HTH!

Rose
    mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
    & Jack (19 months)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1456.jpg

I LOVE this!!! Please email the instructions to me when you have a chance. I can't wait to do this!

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    5-1-03

amp Guest

Better yet, post instructions, please! I would love to do this too. I get the basic concept, but how do you get the transparency to fit and lay right inside the ball?

mom2kandj Guest

I have a preprinted template that I made up in Powerpoint with circles already sized to my ornaments. I just import the pics and size them to fit my circles. Then I cut them out, roll them up, slide into the ball, and they spring flat. Mine are sized a hair bigger than the inside of the ball so that they don't shift once inside. To move the circles into the correct position I just use a pair of tweezers! Soooo easy! I can post a file to BBB Swap if you need more detailed instructions! HTH!

Rose
    mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
    & Jack (19 months)

luvbeinmama Guest

These are sooooo cool! Did you use special transparency film for inkjet printers? Did you get it at Office Depot/Office Max/Staples?? I'm sure I could do the circles in Publisher as well. I LOVE IT!!

mom2kandj Guest

Yes & yes! Oh, and they usually keep the transparency film by the overhead projectors instead of in the printer supply section! Also try to get about 6 to a sheet 'cuz the film is really pricey! They are really pretty on the tree! HTH!

Rose
    mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
    & Jack (19 months)

PS You could get one made at Kinko's(DH's friend did last year), but they charge you $10-15 for ONE ornament! YIKES! Oh, and they cropped his brother out of the pic because they were too lazy to size it!

s_gosney Guest

I also LOVE these ornaments and am dying to make some of my own. How did you decide what size to make your circles? Does the bulb package have a diameter measurment on it that you used? Thanks for your help and the adorable idea...everyone's going to love these!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast