Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mom2kandj Guest

Default RE: Christmas Ornaments

Most ornaments do not have a measurement on the outside of the box and it is very hard to get a good measurement. The easiest way IMO is to use a wooden chopstick or wooden skewer and a pen. Insert the skewer into the ball and mark at the top. Then pull the skewer out and reinsert just until the tip of the skewer hits were the insert would start and mark the skewer again at the top. Your ornament measurement will be the length of skewer between your two marks. Make sense? You may want to make a test sheet with two or three different size circles (usually the difference is is within 1/4 inch) to get it right. I like my ornaments to be a hair bigger than the inside of the ball to that they "fit" and don't shift. HTH!

Rose
    mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
    & Jack (19 months)

I don't know if this has already been posted, but a very cute (and cheap!) thing we used to do in college is to take regular colored ball ornaments and write or draw on them with silver or gold paint pens. The look is very classy and it takes SECONDS to do.

Hi Rose,

I know it's a year later, but I was looking through posts and love this idea! Could you (or someone else that's done this) post instructions and more info about how to make a template? I really want to give this a try. I could PM you with my email address if that's easier.

Thanks!
    Sunny

++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sunny
    mom to DD E 11/03, DS1 W 3/06, and DS2 1/09

Default Rose

I tried this last year and I could never get the right diameter. Can you post or upload (or email) me your template that you use and let me know what size balls you use.

TIA!!!!
    Mom to R and R

amp Guest

Default RE: Rose

Rose, I'd also be interested in the template you use. I never got around to making these last year, but between my craftiness and DH's engineering prowess, how hard can it be, right?! If you have a template/instructions, can you please email to me? Thanks a bunch!

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would also love to get a template if there's one floating around. I love the idea but am not sure how to do the circular pictures. Thanks!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

safarimom Guest

Have you ever checked out www.orientaltrading.com ? They have some really cute ornament kits for Christmas & they are super cheap too. They have all kinds of photo frame ornaments & other kits that are great for kids that want to do crafty things with Mom & Dad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2