Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mikesa3 Guest

Default RE: Making a diaper bag... any advice?

I just wanted to say you did a great job.Mtching small bag is cute too.I have fabric sitting here just waiting to start.I'm nervous about messing up, I just need to start it.I bought a different tote pattern but not sure if I want to use it.I like the one you used.Could you tell me about how big the bag is.I'd probably still need to make it smaller for me.
    Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

Mikesa3 Guest

Also,I see you have the straps not showing on the outsides.Were they hard to put it? Thanks

Hi Nancy, the finished size is roughly 12" high by 14" wide by 4" deep. I'm a petite woman and it doesn't overwhelm me like some of the bags do. For the straps I just shortened the straps when I was cutting out the pieces (it is pretty obvious on the pattern piece where the actual strap starts vs. the part that goes on the bag). I also ended up cuttin a couple of inches off the straps once they were done, thus the key loop on the inside! So at the point in the construction of the bag where it calls for sewing the straps onto the outside of the bag I just pinned them in place so I could make sure to include them in the seam between the outside and the lining. When doing my seam I did triple stitch the seam at the point of each strap then the top gets top stitched too, so I'm not worried about the strength. I hope this makes sense and helps!

Mikesa3 Guest

Yes.It made sense.:-) Also I noticed you have the two different fabrics on outside.The pattern just had one (I think) Did you just cut another layer to go over the bottom of bag? Thanks

Yes, I just cut an extra chunk of contrasting fabric to make the strips at the bottom (I also cut the base of the bag from the contrasting fabric). I ironed a hem on one edge and top stitched it to the main piece before constructing the bag. I also shortened the pockets to match up with the contrast strip (if the contrast was the same height as the pocket it looked disproportionate to me...I just eyeballed the "right" height for the contrast).

Have fun! Be careful getting addicted...I made my 2nd one this weekend and cut out two more! Help, I'm obsessed!!! LOL!

JennyLynn Guest

Kristin! Wow! That is TOO cute. Now I am dying to go back to the fabric store and do it all over again, including some of the improvements and ideas you came up with. I told my sitter that I would sew one for her if she picked out the fabrics - it is always so interesting to see what fabric combinations other people come up with. I adore your combination - did you use upholstery weight fabric or lighter weight? Is it 100% cotton? You said you used interfacing on the bag and the lining, did you use stabilizer also?

One thing I would recommend is spraying the whole thing down with ScotchGard... my first one is already getting some dirt on it.

Inspired again,
    Jenny

Hi Jenny,

The exterior is a cotton spandex blend, so it has some give. I ended up having to use fusible interfacing on the part for the straps to stabilize for making them, I just used what I had on hand for it, but my straps are awfully stiff. The interior is 100% cotton broadcloth. The next one I made is 100% cotton quilting fabric. This time I did fusible interfacing on everything, then another layer of interfacing for stability since the fabric was so light. guess I just went with my instincts based on the fabric weights. I haven't tried a heavier decorator weight yet. Good Luck! :)

Mikesa3 Guest

I'd like to see pictures of your 2nd bag too.I finally have my first cut out,at least most of it.I still have to cut the straps and the inside pockets.I'm using the tote pattern I already bought but changing it to add outside pockets.I hope it works.BTW did you buy the clip for the small bag at a fabric store?

Yep, I found the clips in the notions department. They had them in gold and silver and a couple of different sizes.

I'll attach a picture of my latest one.

:) Kristin
    Adopting #1 from Korea
    It's a Boy! Theo was born 1/12/2004!
    Awaiting his safe arrival home

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8111.txt

Mikesa3 Guest

Very cute.:-)I should get off this computer so I can work on mine.I bought some button covers at Walmart today so I can make a matching button to use with a loop at the top.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast