Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    pixelprincess Guest

Default RE: A home page for my baby?

hi nupe,

am now posting as pixelprincess, just a name change. :-)

hmnn... your UI is different from mine. a PC/mac difference. When you do the optimization of your image, you should be able to view the image quality in the window to the left. So I'd say if you are happy with it save it. Sometimes, you can go down smaller without losing quality. If you want to email me your original psd file or a high res jpg, i can save a few versions for you.

If you want to print you are better off using the highest possible resolution. The web res is usually pretty low (72 dpi), so if you can print from the original psd (300 dpi works well for print). If you don't have anything high res, used the best possible res you have. Hope this isn't confusing? If you go to Kinko's you can get a digital color output...I think 8 x 10" costs $1.50. The paper choice would be upto you...if it is for an album you could use card stock or if you are pasting it into an album a lighter weight is fine. Of course, you could try multiple papers to see what you like best.

When I capture web photos, I take screen shots and paste them into photoshop...but if you have the original why do that? You could create the layout in photoshop and use it for print, and also save the same one at a lower res for web. I hope I haven't confused you any more...

HTH,

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: A home page for my baby?

Dear Durga:

Love your new screen name!

I find that even with lower resolution the pics appear pretty sharp on my screen, but when I look at some older monitors the pics are not so clear. So for now I will stick with what I have been doing. Thanks for your kind offer.

As for printing the web page, I may try screen shots in photoshop. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks,
    Nupe

Default Updating my baby's homepage

Dear Durga:

You asked about the web site in another thread. Thanks for asking! The website has been a huge hit! I can tell that friends are looking at it (from the counter) and from all the compliments we have received.

It's time for me to update it by adding new pics. Currently I am using 97% of capacity on the site. I need to figure out how to keep some of the old pics as thumbnails only (eliminate link to large pic, and eliminate large pic file)--probably by deleting some code. I also would like to figure out if there is a way to have people vote for their favorite picture.

The other challenge has been trying to communicate to less web savvy friends and family that there is more than one page of pictures! I ended up adding directions at the top of home page: click on these links to see all 5 pages of pictures!!

Any recs?

Thanks,
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

Default New website: Frontpage 2003 or Dreamweaver

Dear Friends:
    An update on my baby's web site. It was so handy. Didn't have to deal with picture attachments that just wouldn't open.

The last change I made was in Dec, before the account was changed. I have a new url staked out, but nothing posted! During this transition, I no longer have the old version of FrontPage I had been using. I got FrontPage 2003, did a tutorial, but never applied it to developing his site. So, I'd have to start over with the tutorial. I think if I go step by step, I can make a rudimentary web page with pics like the old one. However, I have the option to purchase this package with my education discount: Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004, Flash MX 2004, Fireworks MX 2004, FreeHand MX, and ColdFusion MX 6.1 Developer Edition.

At first I thought I would use what I had (FrontPage), but now I am wondering if I am going to have to learn a "new" product anyway, should I go with the Macromedia package (which seems to have a lot more potential).

I have been using Photoshop Elements 3.0 and Picasa to store my pics...and PS 5.5 to edit my pics.

I don't work in this field; it is a hobby for me. Have any of you tried FP2003 and/or this or other macromedia package? If so, any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Nupe

wookiewoo Guest

Default RE: New website: Frontpage 2003 or Dreamweaver

Nupe,

Just my 2 cents again, but I would try using FP2003 if you already have it. I have used the older versions and this latest one and it's really not that much different. In fact, I can't even think of one difference to tell you off the top of my head!

I know that the macromedia programs are more known for being "professional" and I know that there are some REALLY REALLY cool animation things that you can do with Flash.

It really depends on how elaborate you want to make your site if you ask me. Frontpage is going to get you a good basic site, and more if you want to. You should make sure that you site host supports Frontpage extensions so that you know it will work if it's different from your first host.

Good luck and please post your finished work or atleast a screen shot!

HTH
    Heather

Default FP2003

Dear Heather:
    Learned all about cascading style sheets in FP. I'll put a link to my web site for now, but will change it in a few days to screen shots. Comments appreciated.

http://home.indy.rr.com/jayantsjungleii

Nupe

wookiewoo Guest

Default RE: FP2003

Dear Nupe,

What a beautiful website!! It is absolutely adorable! Of course, having that sweet little guy all over it makes it so cute :)

I'm jealous that you have learned to use css. It seems like it would make it so easy to use once you have your inital page completed and it must be easier to update. I like everything about it! The colors are easy to look at, the theme "Jayant's Jungle" is so nicely played, and it's easy to navigate.

I wouldn't change a thing, the only things that I can think of are that maybe you could include a blog or journal of some sort?? I'm kinda stretching for something, because I really think you did an awesome job.

I'll be up all night tonight trying to catch up with you on the css!
    Congrats on a job well done and thank you for sharing!!

Heather

oops, I also meant to ask, are you into photography? You seem to catch those "twinkles" in his eyes and I just love that in a picture :)

pixelprincess Guest

Hi Nupe,

Remember me from waaay back? Used to be durga8. I just peeked at your website. It is so lovely and Jayant is so very cute. I saw your pics of Aji and Ajoba and wondered if you are Maharashtrian? I am and don't really meet too many Marathi folks. Wouldn't that be funny to meet someone online?

pixelprincess

Default RE: FP2003

Dear Heather:

Thanks for your comments and compliments. Thanks especially for the suggestion to use FP. I agree, I think it would be nice for me to add some commentary and I had even toyed with the weather, but wanted to keep things simple to start with.

The decision to use css was 1) can make changes on all pages in one fell swoop and 2) hopefully takes up less space on server compared to usual template. I ended up using a css template that I modified, mostly for color. I also used the dwt photo gallery option.

I am interested in photography, but the last class I took was years ago, and haven't gotten out the 35 mm more than once since DS was born. It's all about the digital camera for multiple shots nowadays.

Thanks,
    Nupe

Dear Pixelprincess:
    I do remember you. Excellent pick-up on the names! DH is Marathi but I am not. I speak a different language that is similar to Marathi. I have several Marathi friends around the country, of my own and through DH of course.

Thanks for your compliments.

Nupe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2