Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    amazz Guest

Default My SU supplies

Oh well let me think... :)

I have way too many stamp sets (between 15-20), but I make cards instead of buying them and it is my favorite creative outlet so it is worth it to me to have them. Depending on what you are planning to use the stamps for (scrapbooking vs. cards) will determine what stamps to start out with. For a long time I didn't have "word" stamps so it was a little frustrating making birthday cards without a stamp that said "Happy Birthday", KWIM? If you are going to be doing a lot of scrapbooking I would probably recommend getting at least one set of Alphabet letters and numbers.

As far as colors go, I have a few basics in ink pads--black, red, green, white, gold and brown (I think). Then I have a set of markers in the Bold Brights, a set of Stampin' Spots (the little tiny ink pads that come in set of 12) in Rich Regals, and I have the Stampin' Pastels (the chalks). To blend the pastels I have the blending brushes, and these can also be used directly on the pastels to do a sort of watercolor effect.
    I also have the airbrush to use with the markers and while it isn't a *must have* when getting started, it adds a nice touch to some things and I really enjoy having it.
    I have the Stampin' Wheel and 3 or 4 wheels and black, red, green, and blue cartridges (I used these for x-mas so that explains the colors). These are great for making custom tissue paper for gifts.
    One thing I thought was absolutely ridiculous, until I tried them, were the scissors they sell. I am now a convert and would HIGHLY recommend them. They make cutting out the stamps soooo much easier. I always cut my moms for her too because she can't see the small things very well so I just do them all and these scissors have saved my hands and time.
    My mom has the envelope template which is great--I just use regular white card stock to make the envelopes and it saves me money and I can always find an envelope the right size for my cards.
    The card stock they sell is thicker than what I can find in the craft stores, but I only have 3 colors because it is a little bit more expensive. However, I plan to get more since they match the ink and marker colors.
    I also have the Stampin' Scrub for cleaning the stamps, as well as the cleaning solution. I don't think the solution is absolutely necessary--my demonstator actually just uses water, but for those stubborn stamps I think it is worth having.
    My absolute favorite product is called Versamark. It looks clear, but it leaves a watermark or tone-on-tone stamp. So if you are stamping an apple on red paper, it will be a little bit darker red than the paper. It is so great for backgrounds or subtle designs.

If you want to see some of the cards I have made (I'm sure yours will blow mine away) I would be happy to email some pictures. I use the catalog to get ideas of what to do if I am stumped or not feeling the creative love.

See, I told you I should have been a demonstrator. :)
    Angela
    EDD 10/15/04
    A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: I hate Michaels!

I do not scrapbook, but I had such a good time making Sarah's party invites, that I think I am hooked on making cards!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

luvbeinmama Guest

LOL!!! I really like Michaels! I think it really depends on what craft/etc. you do. I don't scrapbook, but I do crochet and sew and decorate the occassional cake besides the various painting crafts I do with DS & DD. They have a GREAT yarn & pattern section, and they have all the Wilton stuff and a good selection of t-shirts (colors) if you are painting shirts. I really HATE JoAnn!!! They took over my all time FAVORITE fabric store, House of Fabrics. Personally, I think JoAnn really sucks as a fabric store, but they are now the only store around here unless I want to go to the SF Valley (ugh) or downtown LA (quadruple ugh!). AND they don't have the craft selection of Michaels. I think, locally, people end up going to the smaller scrapbooking stores instead of Michaels, though, so I'm sure there are many who agree with you.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You have a good yarn selection at Michaels??? Ours is pretty bad - comparable to Wal-Mart. Patterns (I crochet, also) are slightly better but still disappointing. I couldn't believe how much more stuff I found at SIL's A.C. Moore (1000 miles from me, unfortunately) - their stock is comparable to a decent yarn/knitting shop. Our Michaels doesn't have Thomas trains either, which stinks because Colin is such a fan and our 40% weekly coupons usually just go to waste.

So not only do we *only* have Michaels near us, it sounds like we have a crappy Michaels to boot! Grr...
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No Lori, I have several Michaels nearby and they all have a pretty crappy yarn selection. :(
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

papal Guest

Beth, if you are hooked on cards, you HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO take a look at my Stampin Up catalog! I will get it at our next get-together!

papal Guest

Default RE: My SU supplies

WOW girlie!!! You definitely should become a demonstrator! I want so many things from that darn catalog... i just drool over it everyday. I am starting with a $100 budget, so thanks for your list of what was useful to you.. that helps a lot in helping me decide.

luvbeinmama Guest

Well, maybe it depends again on what you are looking for. But around here, unless you compare it to a specialty shop, Michaels has a good selection. Certainly outdoing any other chains around here. However, I suppose I'm a little biased as I worked there for a year before DS was born. :P I don't get over there nearly as much now because I have so many unfinished projects at home I can't see getting more stuff to craft unless I'm doing a specific thing with DS or DD. LOL! I never realized before that Michaels is hated the way I hate JoAnn. We don't have an AC Moore around here that I know of, I suppose I aught to look into it.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I guess that's the problem - there aren't really any chains around here to compare Michaels to. We have a Jo-Ann Fabrics, but they really don't carry much yarn at all, so I wasn't even counting them. And a Hobby Lobby (much farther away) which has a better selection of yarn than Michaels. Michaels and Wal-Mart pretty much carry the same stuff.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

cinrein Guest

I'm not a scrapbooker either, though I did make a scrapbook for a dear friend's retirement book. I also had a great time making Anna's birthday invitations and I doubt I will ever buy an invitation again! I'm intrigued by making cards. Definitely bring the catalog along. :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast