Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Got the Funky Monkey!

Now I just need something to make. Eek, I bought this fabric while on vacation because I just LOVE it. Thing is, I don't really sew. I was thinking some little flannel pants (maybe reversible?) or something. Any suggestions on which patterns are easy AND cute? (I did look at the sewingpatterns.com and saw a kwik sew pattern or two that might work but am open to suggestions)

http://www.fabricdepot.com/catalog.aspx?ItemKey=6648

I bought a total of three yards (1 yard each of three different prints).
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

Default RE: Got the Funky Monkey!

I would make a bag of some sort, either a diaper bag, or a purse or something. That should use about 2 of the yards, after you line it.

I have been making LOTS of bags lately (or at least partly making them) does that count? I just made this one in a fun pink/orange fabric. It can be a backpack, but doesn't have to be and it's a pretty easy pattern to follow.

From:http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/image...rge/LGD116.jpg

Chelsea (LGD116)

Chelsea is a wonderful combination of a tote bag & a backpack. She's a little of each with a whole lot of personality! Measuring 14" tall with an 8" square bottom, you can wear her over your shoulder with one strap or unzip the strap & she's a backpack. Cinch her closed by pulling the shoulder strap through the loop & you're ready to go!

Beth

Josh 3/90
    Mollie 4/92
    Jeffrey 12/94
    and Katherine 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030604/3/4/1/-5/.png

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No sewing suggestions, sorry, but those are really cute fabrics!!!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

tina-t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How about a stroller blanket? You can use a chenille on the opposite side. And you don't need a pattern.

BTW, those are really cute fabrics.
    Christina

Mom to 2 little ones

Elastic waist pants for babies are really, really easy. Like, I've done a pair in an hour, start to finish, and I'm not that speedy. There are only two pattern pieces in most patterns!
    Reversible would make it a bit trickier, and you might well want a pattern specifically designed for that if you aren't a brave improviser (I'd have to think on how to get the waist to look right). Overalls are not that much harder; if like me you hate buttons, use snaps or use a pattern that has elastic straps. Note that the flannel may be a challenge to put on as overalls, so although that shows off the fabric better, it may not be the best choice. Pants and a jacket perhaps? You could do contrast cuffs and collar... Do a pair of pants in design A with design B as contrast, a pair in design B with design A as contrast, and the jacket in design C with either A or B as contrast (or collar in A, cuffs in B).

Ok, good to hear that pants are easy peasy. What pattern(s) have you used? I like the idea of contrast cuffs. I was thinking I might do this rather than reversible as reversible probably bumps up the complication factor a few notches.

I might try this for finn. I'm having somebody from here make one for my friend's shower because I want to make it look nice but for my own DS I think I can venture into trying to sew a blanket :)

what a cute bag! I think I want to use this fabric for DS but might be tempted to try this pattern for myself :)

Aren't they the cutest? I originally saw them a couple of weeks ago when Mudpie Babies posted a couple of diaper sets at Middayfaire and was dead-set on finding it. I stopped in the cutest fabric store up in Oregon and they had GREAT fabrics and yarn and stuff. I didn't buy the fabric at first but walked around thinking about how I loved it and finally just went back in and bought some to make something.

tina-t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Juliet, where in Oregon did you get the fabrics from? I am going to be in Portland for a few days next week and was wondering if you got it from a shop in Portland. I would love to get some for a blanket for ds.

Thanks.
    Christina

Mom to 2 little ones

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast