Thread: What to sew?

Default What to sew?

Hi...I just started sewing classes on Monday nights. I have never sewn before in my life. The first class went better than expected. I was able to make my ds a little fleece hat. The instructor wants me to come up with some more projects for the future classes. Next week I am going to make him a pair of fleece booties but after that I am not sure what to make him. Any good ideas for a beginner to make? I eventually would like to see if I could make him (after several lessons of course) a little shortall outfit for the spring or maybe even for Easter. Are there any websites that give pattens or where you can buy patterns for a relativley good price. Thanks for your help. I hope this sewing thing goes well.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: What to sew?

I haven't bought any patterns on-line. So I really can't help you with that. Joannes offers huge sales on patterns fairly often. For examples any Simplicity pattern for 99 cents. The brand switchs around. You can check Simplicity's website. The McCalls website also has Vogue and Butterick.

I think Burda has really cute and easy to make clothes for kids, but I don't think you can buy on line. So check out Joanns. You'll have to do it IRL because it doesn't appear that they sell patterns online.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Dyonia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

This place looks like it has just about every pattern there could be.... www.sewingpatterns.com and it looks like they offer discounts for buying multiple patterns. There is a childrens section -- browse around there for some cute ideas. Most of the patterns appear to be for girls, though I did see at least two patterns for cute little fleece jackets. Be sure and look in the "Just 4 Baby" category also.

You're putting ideas in my head :) I recieved a sewing machine for Christmas a few years ago, and I've only used it a few times. I can barely sew a straight line! Are sewing classes expensive? How long are your class sessions?

Cheers,
    Donna

My mom found the class for me. It is a women who teaches out of her house. You pay as you go. $6 an hour and you can either stay for 2 or 3 hours one night a week. Check your local craft stores or sewing machine shops for fliers. I think that is how my mom found this lady.

Thank you for the websites and pattern ideas.

JFC is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Wal-Mart has a decent selection of patterns (and some extremely inexpensive fabric too!). I agree with the PP about Joanne's or Hancock's Fabrics. HTH!
    ~Jess
    SAHM to DS1 7/03 and DS2 3/07

Here are some sites with free patterns for little stuff like booties, toys, and the like for kids, as well as mommy projects.

http://www.allcrafts.net/sewing.htm

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/
    Here are the baby patterns (c= crochet, k= knit, s= sew)

http://sewing.about.com/library/ucpaulacummings.htm

And her is a poncho if you wear your baby, it covers you both.
    http://www.metrocast.net/~hayes/sew_poncho.htm

If you like working with fleece, this is a great book. "School Colors 30 Easy Fleece Projects" Even lists a bunch of colleges school colors in it. :-) http://www.leisurearts.com/crafts_ne...=3720&search=1

Some fun and easy things to sew are blankets, booties, hats, tote bags, puppets, hooded towels and bibs. Have fun and post pictures! :-)
    HTH~
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

SJ mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Any free sites?

lynettefrancois Guest

You might want to sew a baby carrier, like an asian style carrier. I was too pooped to sew during DD's first YEAR so I bought an Ergo carrier (which I used yet again just a month ago to carry her through Versailles) for nearly $100- worth every penny. I somehow end up in a lot of stroller-unfriendly spots. Anyway it's a thought and most are not that hard. There are lots of free patterns- search these boards for "sew sling" and you'll probably find it. HTH

SJ mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks!
    I will try to look for a pattern. So you are still using the sling huh? Doesn't it hurt your back?

jmct Guest

Not baby-related, but since time and energy is limited, I like my sewing to maximize cost savings, so I mainly focus on things like curtains and slipcovers(lined panels are easy and a good thing for a beginner) that can save you hundreds of dollars. Then, more money to buy cute outfits. It could also be that by the time I finished a baby outfit the baby would have outgrown it.

Jen