Default How to make room-darkening roman shades?

I am a total newbie when it comes to sewing but I am making Roman shades for my DS's nursery (with my mother's help who is an expert on sewing.) I bought white drapery liner so that from the outside all you see is white but the actual shade fabric is a check pattern with a white background so I'm a bit worried about light and noise coming through. Does anyone have any suggestions on something I could use to line the shades with that would help block out light and noise?

Thanks!
    Jen

Mama to Luke (9/04) and Dex (5/06)

Dyonia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: How to make room-darkening roman shades?

It sounds to me like you need blackout fabric or blackout lining. It is available in several thicknesses and is quite effective. I have used it on roman shades before, so it will work for that. It is white, not black btw :)

Most fabric stores will carry blackout fabric, but larger stores will generally have a better selection of blackout fabric weights. I bought it at a Joann Etc store several years ago.

HTH,
    Donna

Perfect! Thanks for the info.

I would use the blackout lining instead of the regular drapery lining since it is white, right?
    Jen

Mama to Luke (9/04) and Dex (5/06)

Dyonia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Yes, that's what I did. Best of luck on your project! Share pics if you can -- I'd love to see them! You've got me thinking about trying my hand at making roman shades again. :)

Cheers,
    Donna