Default blanket rescue needed!

Anyone know if there is a way to "save" old fabric? I have a blanket that Im trying to redo. The fabric is old and worn. Does anyone know if there is a way to try and restore it? I was thinking about trying fusable webbing to fuse it to a new peice of fabric to support it. Would this work? Does anyone know of any resources to do this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much!

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: blanket rescue needed!

First I checked out your site yesterday. Very cute. As to your question. It would probably depend on what type of fabric and what your expectations are of its use after. If you want it to be soft and "flowing" after using a fairly light fusable web and a soft and flowing fabric backing would probably work. The people to talk to though would be the quilt restorer type people. If you ask at your local quilting specialty store, they can probably give you the name of someone to ask. Good luck and let us knwo what you find out. I have a few quilts that needs some rescuing.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: blanket rescue needed!

Fusible is certainly one option. But, it will cause the fabric to age faster than it otherwise would have, so if this is to be an heirloom item, skip the fusible. If the blanket only needs to last through a particular child or stage, though, and if it can take the heat required to melt and bond the fusible web, then it is the fastest and easiest way to go. If you aren't sure about the heat-tolerance of the fabric, go carefully, or use a teflon sheet to protect your iron and the fabric. Keep in mind that even the lightest fusibles will stiffen the fabric and change the hand of them. If you only need to repair patches, applique without using fusible is another possibility.

The other option is to attach the blanket to another piece of fabric (a backing of some sort) thread -- in other words quilting! Your site is adorable, and it seems to indicate that you hand-tie all your items rather than traditional-quilting them. Maybe you could just hand-tie this blanket to another backing, but perhaps with closer spacing than you need to use on new fabric? Quilting-quilting would be more secure.