Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nitaghei Guest

Default Scrapbookers: recommendation for scissors?

The kind to do a deckle edge with. The cheap $2 piece of junk Fiskars I bought at Michael's bit the dust with a single L/O. Would appreciate a recommendation for something that will last longer, get the job done and isn't too $$$$.

TIA!

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Scrapbookers: recommendation for scissors?

I have the Fiskars Paper Edgers long deckle scissors. I've had them for almost 4 years and love them. I think I spent about $10 for them. Scissors can be a "you get what you pay for" item. I have a bunch of cheapo ProvoCraft scissors, but my Fiskars Deckle is the pair I reach for over and over. They're actually the only pair of decorative scissors I keep in my "most used supplies" box.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

nitaghei Guest

Thanks!

Fiskars must have more than one kind, then? This particular pair was all I could find at my local not very nice Michael's.

Did you find yours at a Michael's/ AC Moore type of place, or a real scrapbooking store? At this point, I'm willing to spend $10 for a decent pair. I started scrapbooking fairly recently. I'm really enjoying doing it, and I have a better sense of what stuff I'm likely to use, and a decent pair of deckle scissors seems to be worth getting.

Thanks!!

Nita

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought mine at a real scrapbooking store. You should be able to find them at other places that sell scrapbooking supplies too. Personally in my mind if you only bought one pair of decorative scissors it should be a pair of deckle scissors. They are so versatile. I pull out my other pairs (they are kept separate), and invariably, put them back and use the deckles ones. Having the longer blade is really nice too. It isn't as important with the deckle edge, but matching up cuts is a real bother.

I think when it comes to cutting supplies in general, spending a little more is worth it.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

I have a pair of Fiskars that I bought at Michaels about 4 or 5 years ago and they are still going. I paid more than $2 though. I also have a pair of Creative Memories scissors which I have had for the same amount of time and they are still going as well, with no issues.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

nitaghei Guest

Thanks Melissa! I did a search for the one that Veronica recommended, and according to the Fiskars home page, the only authorized dealer in my area is over 40 miles away. And I live in a major metro area - not out in the boonies :( I'll check out my local AC Moore - which is relatively new and well-stocked - compared to the Michael's, at any rate. Sigh. I really don't want to pay shipping.

Nita

em_jon98 Guest

Do you have an Archivers nearby? They may have something similar in another brand. I have found that they really only carry the best items.

nitaghei Guest

No! No such luck. There is one near my ILs home, though. Must remember to check it out next time we're in Minnesota.

I'm just going to suck it up and pay shipping. :(

Nita

Nita,
    Have you found your sissors? I may have an extra pair of Fiskars that you could have for shipping. LMK.

Casey
    Momma to Ean...the little love of my life!

nitaghei Guest

OMG!! THANK YOU! I've been swamped at work and with other projects (including dyeing playsilks), so I still haven't got around to getting the scissors. I'd be glad to pay you! Could you please email me - either through the boards or at obedcocker @ yahoo . com (remove spaces).

Just saw your other post - can I free ride on your expertise? I just started scrapbooking a little while ago, and I'm pretty much doing very simple stuff.

I want to do a scrapbook as a gift for my parents - it's pics from our trip to India - so mostly DS and grandparents. I have maybe 15-20 pics that are decent. Right now I was considering doing a smallish album - with a single or 2 small pics a page. Would a 8x8 work better than a 6x6? Or is there another size that would be better? I would like to have a fair amount of space for journaling.

TIA

Nita

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast