Default Knitters... What to buy?

I'm saving JoAnn coupons every week and I thought I would start investing in knitting needles and such. Are there certain sizes that are good "basic" things to have on hand? Anyting else I should buy? Or should I just buy for one project at a time?

Thanks a bunch!

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

hjdong Guest

Default RE: Knitters... What to buy?

Personally, I would just buy for one project at a time. I started with a really large set (11 or 13 I think) and a large gauge yarn because it's easier to work with, goes faster, and so you get instant results. My next project I think was on an 8. And now I'm working on a 3 (I would like to kill myself - overconfidence HA).

Anyway, for my first project, I got a large set of needles, large, fun colored yarn, and made DS some beanbags. It went quickly, there was no real pattern - I could decide how big etc. And, I could try a lot of different stitches, adding in colors, etc.

I'm sure there are people who could give better advice (I'm no expert) but it seemed this had gone a while with no repsonse, so that's my hopefully somewhat useful thoughts.

HTH,

I agree with the PP and buy what you need as you go. I suggest keeping a list of what size needles you have (as you buy them), so that when you're out shopping and you find a pattern you like, you already know if you have appropriate needles.

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

I learned with worsted weight yarn and size 9 needles. I found "Knitting for Baby" by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas to be an excellent book when learning to knit. It begins with easy beginner projects and slowly introduces more stitches and more advanced techniques. My first projects were the garter stitch hat and the patchwork blanket. I still reference this book and have been knitting for two years. Good luck!

Leah

nd93 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Also, if you find you don't like a set of needles, try ones made from a different material. The first ones I ever used were some sort of coated metal. Then I tried bamboo and fell in love. Different needles "feel" different to different people. So if something isn't working for you at first, try a different style of needle.

Different needle materials work better with different yarn, or different projects. When I knit socks (always wool or wool blend), I like wooden needles because the yarn doesn't slide as easily (so I won't lose stitches). But if I were to knit a sweater with the same yarn, I'd prefer bamboo or metal.

I have many dozens of sets of needles, in all sizes and materials, but for some reason I *still* have to buy a pair or set now and then. :)

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

Thanks everyone!

:)

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

Even though you have coupons for JoAnn, I would still highly recommend going to your local yarn shop. Sometimes they will let you try out some yarn or needles by knitting a swatch so you can see if you like it before you buy it. And when I've bought yarn or patterns from any of the small local shops I've frequented, they always offer in-store help if you get stuck on that project.