o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Toddler Hooded Towel Instructions

This has come up several times recently, so I thought I would post these instructions. I haven't tried this yet (next week!) but the pictures look great and if you find towels on clearance, you could make them for around $5 each. These were the best instructions I could find. There are other ones out there for making animal themes, etc., but they use a similar pattern for the basic towel.

http://www.inciid.org/cgi-brd/getmsg.pl/111/549

ETA: Here is a pattern for the "hood in the middle" kind of towels:

http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P3058_3080/3080.cfm

wookiewoo Guest

Default RE: Toddler Hooded Towel Instructions

What a great gift idea!! I love that pattern. It seems really simple once you look at the picture. Thank you so much for sharing! I have a niece who should be arriving in January, and I can't wait to try making her one!

Please share pics of your finished towels, especially if you make it with the animal theme like you mentioned :)

Wondering if she has any spare towels around to try this on...
    Heather

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been so unhappy with the quality of hooded towels I've found lately. This way I can have the quality I want and colors that match my bathroom. Even my 4 year old is going to love one!

Maria K is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I just got my hands on an old copy of Martha Stewart Baby magazine that had instructions.
    Would it help if I scanned the pages and posted them?
    - Maria

Actually, what I have looks much simpler. No duck head tho.

I'll just type it out for you here and the picture is attached (sorry, I don't know how to get it to just show the picture)...

For hood: Lay a guest towel flat and fold it in half cross-wise. Sew along one edge from the fold to the outer corner, leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Turn the hood inside out, and open it so the seam is in the middle as shown. Center the hood on a long side of the larger towel, and pin in place as shown. Sew towels together, leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Sew decorative bias tape to the perimiter of the hooded towel, if desired.

- Maria K

Oooo, I like this!

Does it say how large the "guest towel" should be?

It seems like a standard hand towel would make the hood too large. Most bath towels are 30x54 or 30x58, where a hand towel is 16x30, so the hood would take up half the long side of the bath towel? The one in the picture just doesn't look as big as a hand towel.

I wonder if they are using a "fingertip towel", although, they usually have fringe...

*shrug*
    Dunno. I haven't tried making anything like this before. IKEA sells towels without fringe and in different sizes. Maybe check that out.
    - Maria

wookiewoo Guest

I bought some green towels last week at Target when they were on sale and just used a standard hand towel size cut in half to make the hood (just make sure to sew the cut side so you don't have all the stringies hanging out) and a regular bath towel for the body part. Hope that makes sense and helps a bit :)

It really would make for a large towel for an infant, but I think it's going to be nice since our little one is growing so fast. Plus, I think those store-bought infant towels are just too small to get around our wiggle-worm :)

I'm going to try make mine look like a frog, if it turns out halfway decent I'll update with a pic :)