SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Suggestions for someone who hasn't a clue about knitting...

I love the idea of knitting and would LOVE to knit blankets (eventually sweaters) for Ian and Bryn. Unfortunately, I have no idea what all of the vocabulary means : knit, purl, etc ~ all a foreign language. I have never seen anyone knit, other than in a movie. So...any suggestions for books, etc for a clueless, not-even-beginner knitter?? Non-annoying videos would most definitely work as well :) I need as much encouragement/guidance as I can get! I would love to take a class but DH's work schedule is so unpredictable.

TIA!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Default RE: Suggestions for someone who hasn't a clue about knitting...

I would recommend "Knitting for Baby" by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas. Great instruction for the very beginning knitter. Also you can watch the free videos on the following site:

http://www.fiberartshop.com/knclbg.htm

These were great for actually *seeing* how the stitches are made. Other than those two things, I would suggest stopping by your local yarn store and just asking the salesperson to help you get started. From my experience, most are willing to help newbies out. Good luck!

Leah

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I am going to check out the site this afternoon when the kids are sleeping :) YEAH!!
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Try:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

They have lots of videos.

Also, if you know someone who knits, ask if they will show you the basics. I had a very experienced knitter friend who got me started, by showing the basic knit and purl stitches (90% of knitting) and had me make a small dishcloth to practice. Then she went to the knit shop with me to pick out a very simple baby blanket pattern and yarn for my first project. It was an extremely simple pattern of squares with a border, but provided _lots_ of practice for knit and purl stitches. After that, I just consulted with her for new stitches or patterns.

Thank you for the website referral! I bookmarked it to look at tomorrow!! :)

Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who knits, only crochet people, but the suggestion of going into a store works for me :)
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03