Default Fabric for cloth wipes

I am planning on sewing up my own wipes from sherpa and velour. I have looked for these fabrics locally and have been unable to find them. Can you suggest some online stores for purchasing these types of material?

Also, do I need to use any special thread when serging the two together? I plan on throwing the wipes in the laundry with my diapers.

Thanks!

Leah

NYSarah Guest

Default RE: Fabric for cloth wipes

Leah --
    there are a lot of diaper sewing supply sites, but the one I use most is where I got the sherpa and cotton velour I made my wipes from:
    www.diapershop.com
    I didn't use anything special when I serged them.
    have fun!

Thanks, Sarah. I will check out that website. I don't have a serger, so I will be straight stitching right sides together and then stopstitching. It will take a lot more time, but it will work +)

Leah

mainepotato Guest

Hi Leah,
    I was wondering if you've gotten started yet, and how it's going? I just started the same project a few days ago. I got my sherpa and velour from www.sewshoppe.com. I don't have a serger either, so I straightstitched the right sides together, turned it right-side out and then tucked the raw edge in sewed it down.. I didn't think it laid flat enough, so I went through and straightstitched all the way around on the top, close to the edge. Big difference! It reduced the bulk around the edges and makes them lay nice and flat. I didn't use any special thread.. I haven't tried washing the finished product yet, so I don't know how they'll hold up, but I'm not anticipating any problems :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29435.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29436.jpg
    (forgive the sloppy stitching.. I have 48 to do, so I rushed through them. I doubt the baby will mind ;-) )

Tricia,

I've so far only made one wipe (pretty pathetic!), but plan on doing some major sewing next weekend after I finish cutting the rest of the squares. I washed all the fabric on hot after I bought it, so I don't figure there will be any shrinkage. I also decided to turn and topstitch -- my wipe looks just like your photo =) Not the best stitching, but will be perfectly fine for baby's bottom!

Leah