Default How much fabric do you need for a 2T fleece PJs? What fabric?

I am in a bit of a shock from how much fleece PJs costs at Land's End or LL Bean. Depending on the pattern, cut and material $25-$30 and $22-$26 respectivelive. And that's before shipping. Ouch! Times five or more that we need? Even bigger OUCH!

My mom offered to help hence the question. How much fabric do you need for a two piece PJs like this http://tinyurl.com/7kmne or this http://tinyurl.com/8gsjf? I looked at some Kwik Sew patterns for babies and 0.8' was enough for 12-18 mos two-piece outfit so I am thinking 1' for a toddler size. Is that about right or should I get 1 1/4? FYI DS is on the verge of moving into size 2T. He is pretty tall for his age, 34 3/4" three months ago, should be about 36" according the growth chart. Hey, at least if we have his PJs sown (sp?) to order his pants won't fall off/be too short for him ;). And I can pick cute fabric.

Also what kind of fleece (or flannel?) would you use for PJs? I have some Malden Mills 200 and 100 wt fleece leftovers from a custom diaper order awhile back.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: How much fabric do you need for a 2T fleece PJs? What fabric?

A look at the catalog at KwikSew:

http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fusion/c...rs&QL=Toddlers

Shows anywhere from 1 to 1.5 yards for a 2T depending on the pattern.

Malden Mills might be overkill, but would work if you already have it. Any of the Anti-pill fleece at JoAnns would probably work. You can always get enough there for one set and then go back for more if you like it.

Have you looked at other PJs? I got a set of fleece PJs at the Carters outlet for $5 and I know they are usually $10 or less at Kohls on sale.

Thanks, o_mom. I just checked Kwik Sew patterns and according to pattern 2315 one yard should be more than enough for both size 2T and 3T.

I also saw Carter's 2-piece fleece PJs at the outlet for $12. They might have gone down in price since then, that's not an issue. While I love Carter's fleece ONE-piece PJs (which we get from Costco for $5.99), the quality of the TWO piece PJs IMO leaves much to be desired. Just too thin and not soft enough for my taste. Plus because DS no longer wears a diaper and is kind of slender to begin with, most pants just fall off him. So we have to buy bottoms one size smaller than tops, not possible with Carter's PJs.

Do you think MM would be best used on a jacket or vest? I might save it for this then, and get some cute pattern non-pill fleece from JoAnns or online. Considering the store is 11 miles from where I live I might as well pay shipping. Gas both ways will cost me $5 or more.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've never used the MM outside of covers. I know it would work for PJs, I was just thinking of cost. If you are worried about the thickness of the fleece, go ahead and use the MM - JoAnn's might be too thin and not worth the drive. In other words, I wouldn't order MM just to make PJs, but if it was already there with no plans... KWIM?