Default Making Decorative Burp Cloths?

Anyone here make their own decorative burp cloths? I know some people sew on strips of cloth, ribbons, ric-rac trim, etc. I'd love to see some pictures and get some ideas.
    Thanks!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

mbennett Guest

Default RE: Making Decorative Burp Cloths?

I've made a bunch but surprisingly don't have any pictures. Hmm, maybe I should remedy that! In the meantime, I've made them with strips of fabric, ribbon, ric-rac, ball fringe and sew-on patches. I like the ones with only a small strip of ribbon, ric-rac or ball fringe the best. They're much easier/quicker to make than when using fabric scraps (less pinning, trimming, etc); however, it's fun to use fabric that matches other items in your nursery.

I've experimented with different cloth diapers and found some that are "medium" thick that I like the best. We use disposables on DD so I'm not familiar with the terminology but I think they were "stage two." The super-thick prefolded are too thick for good nose-wiping. The super-thin are, well, too thin.

When we first started sewing we used prefolded then stitched them together so it was actually double-thick and only 1/3 as wide as the full diaper. Does that make sense? Well, I don't do that any more because it makes it too thick for any use other than draping over your shoulder and even then I prefer a wider target for DD's spit up.

Finally, one thing we did that was kind of fun was to sew on patches of our college team's rivals right in the "target" area. She rarely hit the target but it's fun to take to tailgates and watch-parties.

I'm new to posting ("long-time reader, first time poster" ha ah) so I hope this post wasn't too long. Good luck!

I have a picture, but I am getting an error when I attach it. Send me your email and I can email it to you. Sorry!

Here is a site that tells you how to make them and has good photos.

http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/blanket_diaper.asp

I've been making bibs lately, and the way I've been doing it might be fun for burp cloths, too. One side of my bibs is terrycloth (I find fun towels at TJ Maxx or Marshalls), and the other is some coordinating flannel. There are so many great flannel prints right now - frogs, flowers, polka dots, whatever. What if you sewed a fun flannel to one side of a plain diaper? It's super quick to do, and you could really get creative.

Karen

Should I prewash the burp cloth to allow for shrinkage and then sew on the ric-rac trim? Will the ric-rac bleed all over the white burp cloth in the wash later on? Do I need to prewash it too?

How do I sew on the fabric? Do I have to tuck under the edges/hems all the way around the 4 sided rectangle of fabric as I'm sewing it down? Sounds tedious...but so cute!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Prewash your fabrics. I would cut the fabric about 1/2 inch bigger all the way round than the diaper then fold under and iron. Pin in place and sew around all four sides. Looking at close up pics on websites that sell them, it looks like that is what they have done.

RicRac shouldn't bleed and shouldn't need to be prewashed. If you are giving them as gifts I wouldn't prewash the diapers either as they won't look spanking new anymore.