kboyle Guest

Default Sewing machine Qs *long*

Hi-

I know most of you gals are anti-Singer machines, but I am interested in a Singer Quantum Futura CE-200, for $799. It seems to be a pretty good quality new Singer machine. The very few reviews I found on it were pretty positive, but I wanted to see if any of you sewing gals on here have any opinion of this particular sewing/embroidery machine.

I am pretty much only using this machine for blanket/burp cloth gifts. Maybe a craft show here or there, but nothing too elaborate. That is why I don't want to spend the big bucks for a Viking/Bernina/Janome. I looked at the Viking 300 and 400s today and as much as I liked them, I like that the Singer can be hooked up directly to my computer, but have not seen one IRL. With the Viking I would have to purchase a reader/writer? box and lots of different programs. I am only looking to embroider names and/or dates, that's it. And sew straight lines.

Sooo...if anyone has anymore info on this machine I would love to hear any input, or any input on other lower priced (under $1000) embroidery machines. I've also searched the Brother Disney embroidery machines, any info on that one?

Sorry so long & Thanks for any info,

kriswrite Guest

Default RE: Sewing machine Qs *long*

I can't speak directly about this machine, but I would caution you to check out whether or not the parts are plastic. If they are, the machine won't last very long without replacing parts.

Good luck!
    Kristina
    www.kristinaseleshanko.com/baby.htm

westgre Guest

Have you looked at the Pfaff brand machines? I only do quilting, no embroidery, so I don't know how much an embroidery machine from Pfaff would be. My machine was only about $600-700 and I find it sews as smoothly as my mom's Janome and Bernina, and better than her Viking.

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The top machine companies all make less expensive models as well. (Bernina, Pfaff, Viking.)

I would avoid Singer, the discount-store Brothers, Simplicity and White. I have seen too many of these break down within a week, or even not working straight out of the box. And the warranties are a joke.

Brother does have some decent machines at good prices sold through independent dealers -- meaning *not* Wal-Mart, Target, JoAnn's, etc. They make two completely different lines of machines, that might as well be different brands.

kboyle Guest

I'm taking a look at the Brother 6500 at a sewing machine shop sometime soon. For what I'll be using it for the shop owner said that this would be my best bet and he's a dealer for Bernina & Pfaff.

Thanks for all the help :)