Default hand and footprints

Where can I get a good set to take hand and foot prints or can I make my own?
    Thanks,
    Shannon

Default RE: hand and footprints

Are you talking about ink hand and footprints? If you are, I'd recommend this site:

http://www.colts-n-kids.com/footprintkit.html

I ordered from them and the kit was so easy to use. You don't have to get any ink on your baby, and there's no mess to clean up. They've basically just packaged up the same things that the hospitals use, but you can only buy the hospital stuff in bulk. This was the only place I found where you could buy just what you need for one baby.

Hope that helps!

wookiewoo Guest

The pp "no mess" idea really looks cool. We just used a non-toxic ink pad and wound up with a dirty-footed baby for a few days hehehe

I also used the crayola clay (I can't exactly remember the name, but it's the foamy, fluffy stuff) to make an imprint of our dd's foot and hand. I used it because regular clay was just too hard to push her little hand and foot into to get a good impression. I don' know how well it will hold up over time, but it looks cute in the shadow box that I made for her with her hospital braclet, a baby spoon, etc

good luck getting good prints wih your own little wiggle worm :)

Heather

Rather than buy all those kits, I used bakable clay (sculpey?). I found a large round cookie cutter, cut circles in rolled out clay, imprinted his hand, used letter rubber stamps to add his name and poked a small hole.

I put all the circles on wax paper and baked according to package directions. I put ribbon hangers on all of them and gave them to all our family members for Troy's first Christmas.

Great thing is if you mess up, just start over. No big mess. The clay comes in a bunch of colors, I did baby blue. Hope this helps.

Janet
    Mom to Troy 5/31/04

I like the no mess kits. Thanks. Where would I get bakable clay (sculpey?)
    Shannon

You can get the clay at any craft store. There are a few different kinds, just look for one that says bakeable.

Janet
    Mom to Troy 5/31/04

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not what you are looking for, but One Step Ahead has a frame that displays hand/footprint, as well as one year of pictures, and is has the baby's name on it. Their web site is down right now, so I can't post a link. I'll try later. Nupe

ETA:
    http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...760&change=117
    There are even more options at the precious expressions site
    http://www.preciousexpressions.com

I just got mine from One Step Ahead and can't wait to fill in the pictures!

Nupe

We are hoping to make some handprint impression gifts for grandparents this year. I've got the sculpey, a cookie cutter, and a baby. How thick did you roll out the clay?

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

I bought a set at Michaels that I haven't actually used yet but it looked neat and wasn't too expensive with a coupon (under 15 but I forgot exactly how much). It had the double frame and white clay that you roll out yourself and after you make the impression, you bake it and can put it in one side of the frame. the other side you can use for a footprint/handprint. I don't remember if ink comes with it or not, but you could always put a picture there instead. But you might be able to do it for cheaper with the suggestions the other ladies have made. HTH

I made a few handprint ornaments with DS this weekend. I used SculpeyII, which will harden in the oven. Sculpey is pretty stiff stuff, so I found if I played with it for a few minutes to warm it in my hands it helped a lot. Plus DS enjoyed watching me make snakes and balls. I used an entire package of Sculpey per handprint, with a bit leftover (so I got 4 handprints out of 3 packages). I rolled out each one about 1/4", pushed DS's hand pretty hard into it, and cut a circle around the print with a cookie cutter. I wrote stuff on the back with a toothpick, and poked a hole in the top with a straw.

As for baking in the oven...well...I overbaked the first one. :( Directions say 15 minutes per 1/4" thickness, but I found 11 minutes was better for me. Could be because it was in a toaster oven, though. They do not look good overbaked!

The handprints are a bit faint in places, partly because the stuff is not very soft, and because I had to work quickly when making the impressions (DS had a tendency to make a fist). Footprints would probably have been easier, but I didn't have a cookie cutter big enough, and we thought handprints would be cuter.

Jen

ETA:
    Did another batch in the regular oven this time...much better than the toaster oven, but I still kept the time between 10 and 11 minutes.
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon