Default 12x12 Scrapbook help needed -- Where to find paper pages w/ holes?

Hi,

I'm creating a scrapbook of a recent special event in our family and everything was going great until I got to the part where I want to include about 25 or so cards received to commemorate the event.

The book is "12 x 12" which means it holds the insert sleeves where you insert 12" x 12" pages into the sleeve pockets. This works great for everything but the cards. For these, I need paper that is approx 14" x 12" in order to punch holes in one 12" end to include it in the post-bound scrapbook and then attach the cards. I want to place these on paper rather than in sleeves, because we want to be able to open and read the cards and see who they're from, read their notes, etc.

Can anyone suggest where to find these larger size pages/paper for scrapbooks? What solutions have others of you come up with for this type of thing?

Thanks for any suggestions!

wookiewoo Guest

Default RE: 12x12 Scrapbook help needed -- Where to find paper pages w/ holes?

I'm not familiar with other paper sizes other than I saw a 12 x 15 album at a Creative Memories party last week, I'm sure they sell the pages for it but I don't know how that would look in a 12 x 12 album??

The only other idea I can think of would be to cut slits into your page protector to let the front of the card "pop" out and be able to be opened. I don't know if that makes sense? This is sort of what it would look like

http://images.scrippsweb.com/DIY/200...b352_1ca_e.jpg

not sure if that link works

HTH
    Heather

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Look in a baseball card store for plastic sheets - they come in all shapes (not just for bb cards). You don't need to use a 12x12 size... maybe there is one that has 2 holes that can hold a 2 cards

Thanks to you both for your responses. I almost forgot about my post on this. I did find a solution that works for our purposes this time.

I purchased an art pad from Michael's that was 12" x 18" and was coated for oil paints and acid free. I then just cut off the extra few inches from the end of each page to make it the right width and punched holes in each page at the appropriate points.

This worked particularly well since these pages are very sturdy. :)

Thanks again for your good suggestions!

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Maria K is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I know this is an old post, but if the OP is out there... can you explain more what you ended up using? I have this same question.
    - Maria

Hi Maria,

I'll try ... I hope I can do a little better here for you.

I purchased a fairly large (12" x 18") pad of art paper from Michaels (also likely sold at AC Moore or any art supply store). It had a special coating for oil paints (seemed slightly thicker/sturdier) and was acid free. I believe I recall that it was a spiral bound pad on one of the 12" sides.

I tore all of the pages out of the pad, then drew a ruler marked line down the rough (spiral end) edge of each page to cut 4" off and thus make them each 14" x 12". This was the size I needed in the end.

I then punched holes in one of the ends (by the newly cut edge) of each page. I don't recall off the top of my head if there were two or three posts -- but, obviously, I cut the holes to match the posts. The holes and open/fold/binding side/area took up approximately 2", leaving a 12 x 12 space on each page to attach the cards. This left me with pages that were the same size (length/width) as the pocket pages I'd used for the rest of the book.

It worked great! I hope this helps and it solves your dilemma too. :) Let me know if I can help or clarify further...

-- JM

Maria K is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I'll have to go look to see what paper you used, but if you still have the front cover let me know what it says... maybe it was watercolor paper?

Did you fold the paper over before you punched the holes to reinforce them?

Did you need to do anything to the "fold" of the binding of the paper to make the pages lay nice when the book was open, or was the paper flexible enough?

This sounds like a great solution to something I've struggled with for a long time now.

- Maria

Maria,

The cover is long gone by now, but I'm pretty sure that it was just what I noted in the post at the time. Not to say, however, that watercolor paper wouldn't be just as good -- or even better. You'll have to figure which thickness you prefer probably. The paper I used worked for us.

If what you're putting on the page isn't too heavy (we had some pretty good sized cards and I fit as many on each page as I could because we had so many to fit in) you could probably use slightly lighter weight paper.

** Not mentioned before -- I just recalled that I also put a few extra of those thin cardboard strips with holes (spacers) in this section of the book to help space better since the cards I placed on the pages really added some extra thickness. You may also need an extra set of posts for this section to accomodate the extra thickness/height (compared to pages per set of posts) for the rest of the book.

No folding. You could fold if the paper wasn't too thick I suppose. You'd cut less off of the end though, in order to give you enough paper to fold over.

Good luck!