Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: playdough help

Default RE: playdough help

Dumb question.

Can anybody tell me if the kool-aid dye stains hands? I vividly remember it staining faces. ;)

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That's my problem with this recipe, too - why wouldn't it stain?

FWIW, the mum of the kids I used to babysit for made her own playdough all the time, I think using this exact recipe, and she just put some food coloring drops in with the wet ingredients. It worked just fine.

Food coloring is probably easier to get out of fabric, too.
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It is probably just me but I had the hardest time getting a good purple with regular food colouring. Yeah, I know, why not go with a straight colour but I like purple. I have just heard that the cool-aid one makes really bold colours. I never thought about it staining. Hmmm. OMSI, the place I got the first recipe from also puts glitter in it but I'm not a fan of glitter. You guys should check out their recipe for flubber. It is really cool to play with. They put glitter in that too. (I need a cranky smilie)
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I. Hate. Glitter. x(

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
    Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What a cool site! The flubber sounds like lots of fun.

I used to make play dough for a preschool class I tought ages ago, and I think the recipe we used called for a lot more flour than the one you wrote out - we had to use a huge stockpot to cook and mix it. This one looks like the perfect size recipe for home use so everyone can get in on the playing, with plenty left over for next time. :) Thanks for posting it.

olwalker Guest

I am definitely going to try this recipe! Aside from the staining issue, I bet Kool Aid is awesome because it probably makes it smell good! Of course, that might lead to eating the Play Dough, but I guess since it's homemade it's not too bad for them if they just get a tiny bit.

This leads me to another question... I vaguely remember making edible playdoug in school once with peanut butter. Obviously this is for older children (who can eat peanut butter) and VERY clean hands, :) but does anyone know the recipe for this?

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Regarding the staining issue!

We made the playdough yesterday after cutting the recipe in thirds. It was sooooo cool! We didn't use the Kool Aid, but used food coloring instead. Although it didn't stain the kids' hands when they played with it, it sure stained mine! You have to knead the color in, and my hands now look like they have been in a horrible fight.

Oh well. It was worth this. The dough is nice and soft, and we can toss it and make more when I start getting worried about germs!

Thanks for the idea.

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
    Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

lizamann Guest

Whoa, I want to apologize for the tone of my post. I guess it sounds like I was dissing the 6 cup recipe, but I was just reacting with my experience in mind - I had just a few days before made 4 different colors using no more than 6 cups total (and a recipe using alum, so it was different but did use Koolaid) and I thought it was just a ton of dough. So to imagine it all of the same color had me freaking out a little. Guess I like variety in my playdough!

My favorite was the green from the lime Koolaid. DD was disappointed that the blue packet made red dough, though. I can't comment on the purple, which I was excited about, because dd wanted to mix in a red into it, so the color wasn't pure Koolaid. None of it stained our hands at all. I haven't gotten any in clothes, though, so I don't know how that would go.

Default Kool-Aid stinks!!

Ugh, I made some with Kool-Aid to color it, and it was just sickening. I could not bear the smell!! I made green and some kind of berry. The smell made me so sick to my stomach that I thought I was pregnant!! I had to have DH clean up and just chuck the rest, and I'm not usually so grossed out. Next time food coloring for me!!!

Good luck. The consistency of the dough is great, though!

darby24 Guest

Default RE: Regarding the staining issue!

coming in late here, I'd have to say that in our experiance the Kool-Aid does not stain the hands. And even though my nephew always has playdough embedded in his elbows when he's done, it's not stained his clothing.

I've used Amy's (daisymommy) recipe twice now with perfect results. The first time I just used the Kool-Aid as the colour agent and the last time added food colouring from Wilton (the paste type.) Put a bit on a toothpick and swished it in the wet ingredients before adding it to the flour mixture. It worked great and I didn't get any colour on my hands while kneading it.

My nephew *loves* making this playdough with me and will play with it for an hour at a time. Both boys happily spend all their time hammering golf tees into the playdough :-)

Here is the link to Amy's recipe:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...id=40589&page=

FYI this full recipe fits fine in a 2L ice cream pail with plenty of room (could fit in a 1L probably). It's enough for 2 kids and one adult to play around with. :D What can I say, I'm the artsy one in the family

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast