divabell Guest

Default Repainting a stenciled dresser

I stenciled a dresser (pic attached) for DS's room to match his bedding--my first stenciling project (and I thought my last!). Now we are moving that dresser into DD-to-be's room and I need to repaint it. It seems like the stenciled areas are kind of raised around the edges, so I'm guessing I would need to sand the stenciled areas before repainting, right? Is there anything else I need to know? I am a total newbie at doing anything with furniture, LOL. If it makes a difference, I will probably stencil something else on it unless I can think of something better. Suggestions welcome--the second picture is the new bedding for DD. Thanks!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32862.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32864.jpg

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Repainting a stenciled dresser

I think it is a good idea to sand before repainting. It will help the new paint to adhere to the surface also, in addition to evening out the stecile edges. Clean it really well before and after sanding to get any oils off. I suggest using TSP for your cleaner, you can find it at home improvement stores. Wear a mask and safety goggles. :-) And have fun!
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, you'd want to do at least a light sanding if the edges are "bumpy" at all. Also, what kind of paint did you use? Craft acrylic shouldn't be a problem, but if you used stencil paint, the kind in the little pots, it was probably an oil-based paint. A quick coat of Kilz will cover it so the new paint can cling properly. Otherwise, you will have bleed-through. Maybe not immediately, but it'll happen.

Too bad you need to redo it! It is so cute. I'm sure the next incarnation will be adorable too!

Yep, you should sand - I'd recommend you do that even if you weren't dealing with slightly raised areas - the paint will adhere much better. Sand the surface first with a heavy grit sandpaper, and then repeat with a finer one to smooth it out. And absolutely use a primer coat. You'll get much better coverage.

To redo it to match the new bedding, how about painting each drawer front a different color to match the colors in the bedding, and either leaving the drawer pulls and the dresser frame white?