Default What kind of fabric should I use to make a baby blanket?

I am a *very* beginning sewer and would like to make a baby blanket. Well actually a blanket for DS's new toddler bed. (I guess the standard baby blanket size would work the same for a toddler bed since we are using the same mattress?)

Can anyone recommend what kind of fabric to use to make a blanket for his new toddler bed. I was looking at toddler bedding sets and I really dont want to spend $50+ on a set. We can use the sheets we have and I figured I could make a cute blanket for him. I am going to try to do something with airplanes - even if it is just a border type thing at the top of the blanket.

I've done a basic blanket for him before. It was from some Blue's Clue's flanner bought at JoAnns. I just sewed the two pieces together. But I feel like I need to go more in debth for his "big boy" blanket. Should I keep it simple or should I be sewing a blanket with some kind of stuffing/fiber in the middle? I have no idea. :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Michelle
    Mom to Quinn and Willa

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: What kind of fabric should I use to make a baby blanket?

For the absolute easiest, you can just cut a piece of fleece to size - no sewing necessary. If you want it slightly warmer, sew two pieces together. I did that for DS - makes it reversible and a bit more like a quilt. You could find some airplane print fleece for one side and a solid for the other. Just sew right sides together and then turn and topstitch.

I had some grand plans to do some applique on it, but that just didn't happen with the baby around. My plan was to cut the pieces out of fleece and just sew them on the top piece with a straight stitch around the edges. Then sew that piece to the back (right sides together) turn and topstitch the edge. You can get good applique ideas by using kids coloring pages as patterns.

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd keep it simple, for two reasons. First, you're more likely to get it done and success is affirming. Second, unless you live in a very cold climate, he won't need that much blanket most of the time. And even if you do live in a cold climate, there are some great lightweight options these days that will leave him with a amanageable cover.

I second the PPs suggestion that you use fleece -- it is warm, lightweight, and cuddly, and because it doesn't ravel, it is very easy to work with. You can applique on it, as she suggested, or add a fabric band at the top in a novelty print.

Having said all that, I'll also say that I am a quilter and I teach quilting. It is very do-able. But you should not get into it unless it sounds like fun. And quality quilting fabric and all will cost you easily that $50 or more. Take the easier route, and make it something fun and easy that you can be proud of in a hurry!

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love making blankets using two pieces of flannel with Warm and Natural Batting in the middle. I do it super easy too. I sew all three pieces together at once, turn and seal it up. Then I make two passes the length of the blanket to quilt it together. The first two that I made were supposed to go to friends, but they now belong to DH and I! :)

HTH!
    Kim

danagee is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How do you cut/measure the fabric

When I sew 2 pieces of fabric together to make a blanket, especially with stretchy type fabric like fleece or flannel that's hard to iron perfectly straight, I always manage to make the 2 pieces uneven.
    Any suggestions on how to both measure and cut them pefectly even?
    Dana

Default RE: How do you cut/measure the fabric

Stretchy or unstable fabric is definitely more of a challenge!
    Measure carefully, of course. Then, if you are going to use scissors, you might find it easier to mark your cutting line with a rolling chalk marker and any ol' straight-edge, then cut on the line. Otherwise, do make sure your fabric is laid out smoothly, and cut with your scissors level with and close to whatever surface the fabric is on -- the more you lift your fabric, the more inaccurate your cut will tend to be. Then pin those pieces. The more unstable the fabrics, the more you pin. There will always be a bit ofs slippage, because of the friction of the pressure foot on the top layer, but if you work from pin to pin, you can distribute that difference evenly along your seamline and it will all come out straight.

You mention ironing. If you are running the iron along the fabric, you are probably distoring the fabric. Later, when it shifts back to grain, it will throw all the lines off. "Ironing" is for wrinkles in clothes. With raw fabric, we "press" only, by setting the iron straight down on the fabric and lifting straight back up after applying heat and/or steam. There should be no need to iron fleece, and it doesn't tend to respond very well to it anyway. Can you just open it out on a flat surface for a few hours to breathe and relax before you cut it? Then you can steam out any creases that still remain.

The really nifty cutting trick is to use a rotary cutting set. But it is an investment, because you absolutely must have all three pieces: the mat and proper ruler are every bit as important as the the rotary cutter. If you go this route, observe some strict safety rules: always always always close the blade when you set the cutter down, even for a minute, keep it out ouf reach of kids, remember that it is a rolling razor blade and must be respected as much more than just a pair of scissors.

I hope that somewhere in all that I gave you something useful! If you have other questions, I'll be glad to help, and I know others here will too.

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

NAK!

I use a rotary cutter, straight edge and mat. Superfast and easy!
    Kim

danagee is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks, Benet
    I do actually have the rotary cutting stuff because I was once big into quilting :) And I was using the rotary cutter when my stuff got all mis-matched.
    It's been a few years though, since I've even sewed, so I've forgotten even how to measure and cut a large piece of fabric (how embarassing). I guess I should not have been ironing the flannel since it's sort of stretchier than the regular cotton that I was using on the front side of my blankets.
    Dana

For cutting larger pieces, can you fold 'em? Just like you always started with the fabric folded selvage-to-selvage when quilting. You just need to get back in practice. Remeber to fold and cut along the grain or cross-grain -- if you are cutting off-grain, you are creating partial bias, and it will be much stretchier and harder to deal with.

If your fabrics are behaving very differently, don't rotary cut them together. And yes, flannel is usually less stable than broadcloth -- it is woven looser so it can be needled into fuzzies. It tends to shrink more upon washing too. The lesson is: if you don't pre-wash, then whent he blanket is washed and the two fabrics shrink at different rates, the blanket will never lie perfectly smooth/flat again. Which is not a big deal for most people -- just don't make one that way for any seriously OCD friends! LOL

If the cutting is really frustrating, I'll bet your local quilt shop folks would be glad to give you a refresher course and demonstrate on the fabric you bring in. If you want them to really love you, though, buy the fabric there.