elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Need inspiration for painting table and chairs

I just picked up this table and chair set from IKEA http://tinyurl.com/kc7h9 , and am looking for creative ideas for painting. Anyone have links or photos they would like to share?
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Need inspiration for painting table and chairs

Very cute! You could do so much with those. All my inspirations are in books or magazines I've been collecting, so I'm no help. I love the odds-n-ends geometric folk-art styles. I think I'd start with a color scheme and then work out pattern. Where do you plan to put the set? Does the room have a theme or color schem you want to play up, or want to change, for that matter?

Currently, DD's play room doubles as our living room. I am not concerned with matching the table and chairs to the living room furniture, even though I suspect the set will be our new coffee table for awhile. ;-)

Here is a picture of the play *corner*
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34294.jpg

Looks like I need to capitalize on the medieval theme going on. :-) I guess I am concerned about too much color, but I would like something a bit more creative than a stained set. Maybe combo paint and stain, but I just am not *seeing* anything yet.

Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Maybe if you don't do so much a "theme" but just go with the basic red-yellow-blue primary colors that predominate? Personally, I'd splash in some Kermit-y green too. You could start with a light/medium stain, to go with the shelving unit in the corner, and then add stripes, squiggles, etc. Do you have any fun ehtnic restaurants around? I'll bet you could find some great starter ideas, especially at a Mexican or Carribean themed place. Don't try to make pictures, just go for a little pizzazz. If you hate the idea of freehanding it, check craft stores for sponges, stamps or stencils, or hit the home store for some masking tape -- they even make it now that will go down in nice smooth curves.

I apologize for not remembering DC's age, but maybe you could enlist help in dreaming up the designs using paper and crayons, and then convert them to patterns you could live with.

Sorry, I don't have a picture. I bought this set and taped off the top before it was assembled. I used a can of Chalkboard paint from Michael's craft store (probably at hardware stores, too). DS loves to sit at the table and draw with his sidewalk chalk.

kelli

That is a great idea! Thanks :-)
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Also if you paint a magnetic paint coat let it dry than paint the chalkboard coat over it she can use it both as a chalkboard and for magnets,

HTH,

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
    & Marisa Mia 4/23/05

We have that same table. We gave it to DS for Christmas. DH & I painted it. We used leftover paint from our bathroom (red) and our garage (white) and then I had acrylics leftover from DS's bedroom mural that I used for the design. I had trouble thinking of what to paint, so I went with some animals from one of his books. The hidden picture on the right is a kitty. I covered the whole top with a clear finish after the painting was done.

(DS's on the left :D)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34671.jpg