Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Making a tutu?

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Making a tutu?

Veronica, thanks so much for the instructions! I think I like the first option the best. I have a JoAnn fabrics coupon to use so I might see how much their spools of tulle are. I know nothing about larkshead knots, so I'll have to figure that out. I'm sure there is going to be a painfully obvious answer to this question, but how many knots per piece of tulle? More than one, correct? Actually, can you provide any more guidance on that whole part of the tutu? Pretty please?

In other news, I picked up a gymboree tutu on sale for $5 today so I have that to examine. It's shorter than I want for a tutu/princess dress-up skirt, though, so I'm still going to try to make my own version.

Thanks for all of the help you've given! The pictures help a whole lot.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The first tutu was about $6. I used two spools of tulle. I think the first one is easier because there is almost no sewing but the second is still super easy and costs about the same depending on the flowers you buy. What did you find confusing? Maybe I can explain it better.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Each spool costs about $2.50. I used two in the tutu I made. Basically you fold each strip of tulle in half and then the knot goes around the elastic. So each piece of tulle has one knot. There are just a huge number of pieces of tulle. Do these instructions help?
    http://www.ehow.com/how_13480_make-larks-head.html
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

ChefGirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think I just now understood how to make the first one. So the bottom of your first skirt is actually kind of loose ribbon like? Where as your second one looks more smooth with flower inserts? Do you have a full size picture of your first one? I jsut want to see what the bottom look like. The second one is pretty though. Where did you get your flower petals and tutu? Joanne fabric?

TIA

Yes, the bottom of the first skirt is exactly loose ribbon-like. Here is Ellie wearing it. As I said, I used two full spools of tulle so it is super full.
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/vdrapeau/tutu.jpg

I bought the tulle for the second one at Joannes and the flowers at a local craft store. All I did was buy a silk rose I thought was pretty and cut the petals off. It is easier if you take it apart first. Then I hot glued and hand sewed the ribon and flower to the waist.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I understand now. I thought I was making a knot with thread instead of the pieces of tulle. I toally understand now and actually use that knot fiarly often. No wonder you said it was tedious, but easy!

One last question (I think). What kind (as in size, thickness) of elastic did you use?

I'm really looking forward to trying this out and Ellie's tutu pic is great!

ChefGirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This is awesome! My DD is turned one. I'm looking forward to making it. Please understand that I'm totally craft ignorant. Spool, is that the round thing like the ribbons in? How many pieces of tulle were in that skirt. How long did it take you? Thanks for everthing.

I used about 3/4" wide non-roll elastic. I bought it at Joanne's. Even with all the tediousness, it still went pretty fast. I used a piece of tape on edge of the counter to mark how long I wanted the tulle to be. So, I could lay the strip of tulle out and then just cut at the mark on the counter. You could use a piece of cardboard or the coffee table if you want. It is just easier and faster if you don't have to take a ruler to every piece. Then I stuffed all the pieces into a paper bag and sat in front of the TV and tied knots.

If you want to get fancy, you can buy different colors of tulle and alternate them. Another thing you can do to fancy it up is to tie a little knot at the very end of each piece of tulle. You can also tie strips of ribbon into the tutu or glue/tack flower petals or other sorts of things to the tutu. If you find tulle that you love that isn't on a spool, you can always cut it into 6" strips yourself but that would be even more tedious.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This looks great! I may need to try making one for my niece. If I can do it, these would be great gifts for some of DS's pals. By the time DD is old enough to wear one, I should have it right. ;) Thanks!

Jerilyn
    DS, Sean 10/03
    DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow, very cool! Thanks for these instructions! I need to go to Joann's to get fleece for those no sew blankets, so I'll pick up some tulle and elastic as well. I think I'll go with the first version first and see how that goes before attempting the second version. ;) If it goes well, I may be back to ask you more questions about the second--since I'm not entirely sure how it works.

Thanks again Veronica!

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...ethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2