Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default In search of new craft idea

Hi! For the past several years, I've made flannel receiving blankets when my friends or relatives have had babies. However, at the last few baby showers I've attended, the new moms have received numerous blankets, and I'm starting to think that perhaps I should think of a new craft to make. I am not a very craft-y person, though, so whatever I did would need to be somewhat foolproof. Anyone got any ideas?

Ellen

Sunshynetoo Guest

Default RE: In search of new craft idea

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you seen those "fancy" burp clothes where someone took a cloth diaper like you can buy at BRU and just sewed ribbon or cloth onto them to dress them up? They sell them at Nordstrom's but I couldn't find a good example on their website. You can see one in this picture but I've seen sets where they used the cloth like in the picture on one or two but then they just sewed coordinating ribbon or ric-rac over the stitching on the diaper. They would be super easy to make and darn cool as well. If you didn't want to go with a baby print, you could also consider going with a print that the mom would like, or maybe something "manly" for the dad.

http://a1216.g.akamai.net/f/1216/955...3/_5133173.jpg

Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been making friends a Taggie Blanket. Fancy burp cloths like the ones above or with just ribbons along the bottom. Sometimes I iron a cut iron-on decal above the ribbons. Also a soft thin cotton blanket was something I never got and needed. I ended up making one myself. This thin cotton blanket is used to cover up the baby from the sun in the summer when the other blankets are just too thick.

carriepepper Guest

I think you should continue with rhe recieving blankets only because I found the one homemade recieving blanket I recieved to be the most valuable baby present or at least the most valuable blanket. I also recieved a ton of blankets but I found the recieving blanket to be very important. The homemade recieving blanket I got was larger than the ones you get in the store so it was the only one that worked for swaddling after the first month. It was also great for a lightweight travel blanket. I also recieved burp clothes with decorative edging while I enjoyed these I didn't find them as useful as the blanket. Either way I am sure people appreciate the handmade touch.

danagee is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've seen some really cute bibs made with fashion fabrics (like Amy Butler fabric) on EBay.
    Dana

BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love this pattern! I just went out and bought a bunch of Fat Quarters at JoAnn's for .99 cents each and plan on making at least 5 Diapee Wippee covers for myself and friends.

Thanks for this post!

bchafin is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I always make a diaper cake. It is super easy and looks impressive.

Barb

I agree! We received one of the fleece ones with the fringe (not sure if this is what you mean) and DD loves it--can't go to sleep without it! (She fingers the fringe, it is very cute.) I am planning on making another one for her so we can rotate.:-)

danagee is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

So how old is dd? I'm just wondering at what age they begin to like or use blankets.

Dana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast