Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Quilters: I think I'd like to join your ranks!

I am getting an itch to try out quilting, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't have any fancy fabric/quilting stores nearby, although there is a Joanns and Hancock Fabrics close to home. Can anyone recommend any good beginner books or websites? I just want to start with something small and simple, to see if it's something that I would have fun with.

TIA!

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Quilters: I think I'd like to join your ranks!

Welcome to the club! I have to caution you -- it is very addictive once you start!

Here is the book I started with and still use
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/084...791359?ie=UTF8
    I have the spiral bound one and it is nice because it stay open to the page you want.

I would also suggest taking a class. Joann's has them all the time (at least here they do.) I can guarantee that will be the most helpful! It is much easier to see someone doing it!

PM me if I can help you out anymore!!!
    Kim

Thanks for the advice! I am a knitter, and have a large yarn stash, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to venture into a hobby like quilting. :) But some of the quilts I've seen recently are just so beautiful, I'd love to make something like that!
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you have a yarn stash, then you will be a pro at getting yourself at fabric stash! (And to start out, you can always piece some squares together and then tie the quilt instead of actually quilting it.) I don't quilt as much as I did before DD was born, but she loves to play with the fabric scraps that I cut up for her.

Baby quilts are the easiest to start with!
    Kim