kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default X-Post from Layette: Help me make a Mickey Mouse Costume!

We are going to the Mickey Mouse Halloween party at Disneyworld next month. For the last 2 weeks, DS keeps saying he wants to be Mickey Mouse. I really don't like the costumes online and I want something lightweight and easy to remove for potty breaks (ideally bottoms separate from top).

Anyway, I have been doing my research on how Mickey dresses (pathetic that I do this instead of paying bills). He is all black (legs ad arms) with red shorts that have white buttons. And then he has huge yellow shoes. My question is...

Can I just put DS in black long underwear with a pair of red shorts and sew on some white buttons? He would wear his ears and I could pin on a tail on his rear end. Is this tacky or will it do just fine for the Halloween party at Disneyworld?

Any other creative ideas?

Default RE: X-Post from Layette: Help me make a Mickey Mouse Costume!

I think that it would be really cute! I personally think that the homemade costumes stand out soo much better and are more appreciated then anything store bought! Ive made my girls costumes every year and they are soo simple. Since it gets cold here most of the time its a sweat suit with a tail pinned on and ears (bunny, cat, bear etc) THey get sooo many compliments over the store bought ones every time. Just make sure to put a little eye liner on his nose to make it black and you'll be all set. Do post pics it sounds adorable! Oh and for shoes, maybe you can find a cheap walmart pair of keds and paint them yellow, or get some mickey mouse slippers to flop around in!

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: X-Post from Layette: Help me make a Mickey Mouse Costume!

Thanks for the feedback. I bought a tail and long johns already. Great idea about the black nose. I agree that some of the homemade ones stand out more and I think I may get DS to help me paint some shoes or pin on the buttons and tail.