Okay, this afternoon I was in the secondhand store just to see what they had, and I ended up picking a ladybug costume off the rack for $8. It's a pullover vest with a hood, made with furry material. I'd like to gussie it up just a bit. It doesn't have wings; instead the body is all read with little black polkadots. If I were to add wings, would that look weird? Should I try to match the material and use red with large dots, which is how I envision ladybug wings? Or should I use something completely different? Also, the bottom is a slightly elastic band. I'd like to sew some sort of strap and turn it into a onesie thing so it doesn't ride up. The elastic is completely sewn in and the costume is 2 layers, so there's no easy way to take it out. Is the strap concept a cheesy fix? I have another question about this outift that I'll post in Layette.

Okay, I am dreaming of seeing DD in a ladybug costume, have since before she was born, even saw a very cute one at the Children's Place, but I hesitate to spend $20 on something she can wear only once or twice at the most. Is there some way I can make this for less? If I could find a black non-footed sleeper I could come up with wings I guess, but I love the kind of costumes that are puffy. DD is still crawling and cruising only, and may be for a while, so I want to get something that is crawling friendly just in case. I just got a sewing machine and would love to make something on it but I should mention that I am a BEGINNER sewer (as in still have trouble sewing a straight line).