pookee Guest

Default How to remove wood stain/varnish smell from dresser?

Hi there!
    DH just finished staining / varnishing a new dresser for baby - and it looks great! The only problem is that it smells ... and it's been airing out in the basement for a month already.
    I really don't want her clothes to start smelling like varnish, so how do I remove the smell? Is there a non-chemical way to do this?
    Thanks so much for your help! I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: How to remove wood stain/varnish smell from dresser?

The out-gassing that you are experiencing from the stain and varnish will disappear on its own, just takes a while. The only thing that I can think of right of hand that may help if you are concerned with the odor inside the drawers would be to put baking soda or coffee grinds in a sachet or bowl in the dresser.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Default RE: How to remove wood stain/varnish smell from dresser?

My husband was in the trucking business, and to get rid of all odors he swears by used coffee grinds. They would just throw them in the trailers and then sweep them out. I would put some in the drawers on the wood, then vaccuum it out.

My odor remover is white vinegar. I would try putting bowls of it in the drawers for a night, and them remove. You will not be left with a vinegar small. Warning, the vinegar could turn yellow/orange/brown as it absords the odor.