Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Decent yet cheap sewing machine?

UPDATE: Thanks for the pointers! I did go to a small sewing store and I bought a Babylock Denimpro. It was really easy to use, so that was the selling point (I told the owner what I needed and he pointed me to this one.) The guy was super helpful and showed me how to use it, then I tried doing it while he watched. For me, that made all the difference! I spent more than planned (so what's new? ;)) but I didn't want to buy something that will break easily. He said they will help me fix any problems. I figured the service was worth it! Now I have to open the box and use the darn thing LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I need a cheap (around $100) sewing machine to sew my dd's girl scout's batches and try-its! I have such a backlog and really need to learn how to do this before she graduates from high school :)

I might try doing simple hemming, too, if it's easy enough. Otherwise I don't see myself using this too much. Can you give me a recommendation based on this? I read the archives and you all had mentioned getting second hand machines - does that make sense for me? What's the best way to go about this? It's a little scary because I know nothing about sewing! Thanks,

Kris

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Decent yet cheap sewing machine?

I think in your case, with a budget of $100, a second hand sewing machine would be great. I think you would be very unhappy with a new $100 sewing machine. I would go to either a sewing store that also sells used machines or a sewing/vacuum store, they tend to sell used machines also. One bit of advice, it isn't how many layers of denim that a sewing machine can sew through that is really important. It is how well it goes from sewing on 1-2 layers to sewing on 4-6 layers that really matters.

For your needs, you really do not need a ton of fancy stitches. You might be able to find an older metal machine that will sew like a champ in your price range. That way you'ld get a machine that does a great job on a few things (but the things you need) rather than a machine that does a poor job at lot of things. My machine is probably 15-20 years old and it still works great. Granted, I'd love a machine that no one else has ever owned but in the meantime, I'll stick to my old metal one.

HTH
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

I suggest not a Kenmore. I have had numerous problems with mine.

dules Guest

I have a $100 Singer from Target. It will sew through jeans and heavier fabrics and is a good, basic, easy to use machine. However it is finicky and the bobbin is a pain to load and handle. My mother has an old Singer, probably 30 years old by now, and I was wishing yesterday I lived closer because I would have run over to her house and been DONE in an hour.

I'd definitely recommend checking out reviews of any you're considering, and try to change the bobbin, wind a bobbin, change needles, and thread the machine just to see if it's easy/intuitive/learnable for you before buying.

Good luck!

Mary

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My dh has used his Kennmore with success. I would steer clear of target b/c of their return policy. It would be hard to get follow up help there.

Beth

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks! I am going to look up a sewing shop and see those first. If they are way beyond my range, I will stick to a basic machine and hope for the best! I hate to buy one from Walmart, though. ugh. Maybe costco?

Kris

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Costco usually sells a Brothers one for about $200. My mom has one for her portable machine and she really likes it. It would probably be worth the extra $100.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08