Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Making an art supply carry-along?

I'd like to make something Ishy can carry his art supplies around in, but as I try to run Google searches for ideas, I can't think up search terms that are specific enough to give me anything but endless web pages selling art supplies for kids.

Does anyone have a craft/art supplies tote that they like? Either instructions for one to make, or just one you have seen and like (even if it's a commercial one — as I said, I'm looking for ideas, here) would be appreciated. TIA. :)

kboyle Guest

Default RE: Making an art supply carry-along?

i've been thinking of making an art carry-on after i saw the idea in last months cookie magazine, i think it was that mag.

the mom had a tackle box for each ds and then a big tackle box for her older dd (8) and had it filled with fuzzy pompom, glue sticks, markers/crayons, safetly scissors, popsicle sticks, etc. for her older dd she had scrapbook scissors with designs (you know what i'm talking about) and a mini stapler, other older kids stuff.

but, she just used fishing tackle boxes and had blank paper & pads laying around the house where the kids could find them. then she had a back up box with other stuff, or special stuff so that no one ever ran out of supplies. i LOVED the idea, i'm probably going to start collection stuff for xmas.

A tackle box would be great (and cheap), but Ish is only at the coloring on (and sometimes cutting) paper stage, and a tackle box that could hold a full-sized pad of paper or coloring book would be huge and expensive — thus my efforts to figure out something that would work better.

wookiewoo Guest

I just got the Growing Up Garnet Hill catalog in the mail today and I thought, "what a great idea, a craft tote!" and here you are looking for one!
    It seems a bit pricey at $38 but I'm sure it could inspire you to create something similar. We use a canvas box sort of thing that I got at walmart for right now, we don't tote craft stuff any where at this point, but I'm sure we will be needing one soon enough!

http://tinyurl.com/kye5f

HTH
    Heather

I like that one. Thanks, Heather. I'll keep seeking out other designs to look at, but that one's a definite inspiration.

For x-mas I gave my Godson a backpack with crayons and a coloring book. Since then it is the coloring bag, and if he wants to color he gets it out. The big pocket is books, and the smaller is crayons. Everything gets put away in the end and it can go places with him. Simple, but easy! A canvas bag would work too for your little colorer.

kboyle Guest

i forgot i saw that in the catalog not too long ago. i LOVE it, but at almost $40 plus shipping, it is a bit much.

it is REALLY cute though