Default Is anyone doing homemade gifts for family?

My SIL wants us to do homemede gifts for each other. I have some ideas, but I always seem to do the same things. Anyone care to share their ideas?

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Is anyone doing homemade gifts for family?

We've done this for a few years with my parents and brother/sil. Some family members have special talents (knitting, crocheting, woodworking) but we've also exchanged:

Mixes in a jar
    Spice mixes
    CDs of music
    Photo collage of a child

This year, I'm making some felted crochet items, some wool balls and kool-aid dyed playsilks. Not sure what to make for the men - they are always much harder than the women and kids!!

Are wool balls hard to make? I've seen them but was wondering if I could make them or just buy them.

Do you just roll the felt, then keep dipping it in hot water while it hardens or do you have a different method?

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wool balls are VERY easy to make! You just roll the wool roving into a ball (I use natural on the inside, a color on the outside, rather than wasting my colors where no one will see them) and then dunk it in hot water while squeezing and working it with your hands. As you feel it start to firm up (felt), you can take it out and roll it on a towel to shape it better.

There are a number of sellers on eBay who have small amounts of different colors of roving available.

purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm thinking of doing herb-infused oils. Here's the link:

http://home.discovery.com/fansites/l...pisode117.html

Beth
    B

DS
    DD

Default This might help you...

although I haven't looked at their shipping yet.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My mom tries to find something to make each year for her sisters. This was one of my favorites.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/lites-in-a-jar.html

You can also make your own sugar scrub! Sea salt, olive oil and whatever essential oil you like!

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_personal...377860,00.html
    Kim

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am having DS help me make a mosaic garden stone (turtle shape) for one of the grandparents. I got it half off at Michaels for $10.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I make my own calendar with family photos appropriate for each month. All family birthdays and anniversaries are on there so nobody has to remember them. I know a lot of people do them on the websites, but I do mine in PowerPoint, print them off at home, then take them to OfficeMax to bind. They turn out great, are useful, and easy to do.

Other than that I like to cross stitch ornaments, but that is really time consuming. Typically I take red aida cloth and use white thread with to make a snowflake on it. It's a pattern my mom had. Then just stitch up the sides to make a little pillow out of it with a ribbon at the top to hang it with.

Michelle

I am thinking about giving some of the women in my family a bottle or two of homemade, all-natural cleaning products, along with the book "Clean House, Clean Planet" (where I will take the recipes from).