nyc_mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default sewing machine help!

Hi,

I am desperate for some help in choosing a sewing machine for my mom for the holidays. I know absolutely nothing about them. She needs something very basic, she'll only be using it to hem pants. She has pretty poor eyesight so she needs all the help she can get (from the machine) with the bobbin and threading the needle. Any ideas? Also where do you purchase sewing machines? I live in NJ if that helps. Thank you so much.

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: sewing machine help!

When I was picking out my new machine, I wasn't sure which to pick either. I think that your best bet would be to go to a sewing machine place or an authorized dealer or machines. Sure you can buy them at Walmart and Sears, but you can't drop it off at a department store to have one serviced or cleaned or if you have questions.

The quilt shop I purchased mine at helped me pick a machine that would work for me and then sat me down and taught me the ins and outs of the machine. I have a Janome. I know when I was getting mine, they had a very basic model for about $200.

Good luck in your search! I hope that I helped a little bit!

Kim

leeza is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I did a ton of research when I was looking to buy a machine -- and Janome is supposed to be fantastic. Look them up online to find a store near you that sells them. The PP was right; it's best to buy at a shop that you can return to for servicing.

Sears carries a line of Janomes and the Kenmore's have been made by Janome(I wouldn't swear that they still are though) and I love mine.

They have basic and more advanced models, and you can take them to a service center to be serviced regularly very inexpensively (or free if they still offer the service plans.)

Beth
    mom to:

Josh 3/90
    Mollie 4/92
    Jeffrey 12/94
    Katherine 6/03