Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Material for binding

I am making chalk cloth placemats for DS birthday party favor.

So far it's going to be vinyl covered cloth on one side, chalk cloth on the other side. But I have no idea what to bind it with. I have to make my own binding due to binding costs vs the quanity of placemats needed. I am making a total of 18 placemats and buying the packaged binding would be extremelly expensive.

What type of cloth would be best to use when making binding and using it with a vinyl/oil cloth and chalk cloth?

Thanks
    Nancy

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Material for binding

A woven cotton would be best. You could use quilting fabric. I think that is about the same weight as the premade binding, although I might be tempted to go for something just a bit heavier. I hope you are getting a bias tape maker. They run about $6 and will save you a huge amount of time and sanity. Here is a link to what I'm talking about.
    http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...eria=bias+tape

Another tip from the world of quilting is to use hair clips to hold the binding in place.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Thanks so much Veronica.... somehow you always help me. I wish we could get together and have a sewing club. ;-)

I have never heard of a Bias Tape Maker. Genious! I put it on my shopping list today. I'll find one. And using hair clips is genious for holding the binding. I need to buy some anyway. I am so excited now to get started.

In Austin they are closing two of our JoAnn's to open a super store JoAnn's. So I am going today to stock up on stuff. I just made this huge list of projects and things I want to do and make. Fun fun!

Thanks again,
    Nancy

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you been to a Super Joanns? They are great. We have one near us and it is the only reason I still shop at Joanns. I only live 15 miles from the B&M Fabric Depot. That is my favorite place to shop for fabric, especially during their 40% off sale. There is one coming up this weekend, if you haven't finished ordering everything.

I'd love to be in your sewing club. How fun! Enjoy making your placemats. I might have to get some of that chalk cloth.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

sorry to hijack, but where do you get chalk cloth??? sounds great... post pics of your placemats when you're done!!! :)
    Holly~Attached mama to Aiden, my happy Pirate & Lillian, my spirited Mermaid fairy
    Cancer survivor!!!! No Evidence of Disease, now and forever!!!

I bought it at denverfabrics.com..... free shipping for first purchases.

Nancy

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Nancy (BaileyBea) - Question on Chalkmats! RE: Material for binding

Did you make these? Any tips?

I just bought some material to try it out (that PayPal was just burning a hole in my computer, LOL).

Did you use anything to stick the two layers together?

I read that you should use spray adhesive between them, but I'm not sure if that is really needed with the binding! The lady at JoAnn didn't think I'd need anything and said not to use the fusible webbing because the iron would melt the vinyl.

Also, did you make a pocket for the chalk or just elastic? I have seen them both ways, but wasn't sure what would be best.

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I have not been online much lately.. I've been busy sewing.

Yes I did finish the placemats... I have been up finishing them for 3 nights now.

I made 18 of them. I realized a few days ago we could no longer add attachments. So I can't add a photo, but I will update on Friday with a link to Flicker where I am uploading my placemats tomorrow.

So here's a summary of what I did:

1) Cut one piece of vinyl and one piece of chalk cloth 12 x 18 and sprayed glue adhesive to help the two pieces stick together and not slide. It's Dritz and it has a yellow top. I'll add the name in the morning.

2) I bought binding at a quilt store (because I am making such huge amounts of placemats). I cut them out in strips and layed them on one another instead of using one big binding piece. This was easier for me. So one side was 13 inches and the other 19 inches. I folding all the extra binding inside/underneath the other binding.. tucking it in.

3) My placemats hold 2 pieces of Crayola Chalk and one terry cloth eraser. The eraser is a 3.5 x 4 inch piece of terry cloth that I sewed together and rolled to fit inside of the elastic. Now the elastic I cut was 4.5 inches. I folded it together and sewed it on the inside of the binding. Then I sewed it together so I could have a section for each piece of chalk and the eraser.

4) The placemat rolls together and is tied together by two pieces of 10 inch ribbon sewed on the inside (chalk side) of the placemat. I had to do this w/Needle and thread by hand because my sewing machine was having a hard time getting through all the layers.

I'll post photos as soon as I can on Friday.

Nancy

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thanks so much! I can't wait to see pictures! :-)

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Default Link to my placemats

Here's a link to the placemats. I was trying to get to this all day.

I'll update the adhesive name on Sunday. I have a slam packed day on Sat.

http://flickr.com/groups/sewmamagroup/

Thanks
    Nancy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast