Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Link to my placemats

Thanks so much! That's the same fabric I have! :-)

For anyone looking for the pics, I had to poke around a bit, so here's a direct link:

http://flickr.com/photos/49248183@N00/392693098/
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks! I used Flickr for the first time and I am still trying to figure it all out.

Fun fun!

Isn't that fabric the cutest? Love it!

Nancy

I am trying to figure out how I would explain to DH if several yards of each print showed up at our house. I'm not sure he would buy the idea of Christmas presents for the next ten years. :-)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: Material for binding

Okay, I'm going to attempt this for DS's birthday in 2 months. I only need 5, but will probably require the entire 2 months!

Vinyl covered cloth? Did you get this at Denver Fabrics? Is it Oilcloth? They're out of black chalk cloth, but I can do green :).

Does the chalk cloth work well?

Oooh. I found a site that is local to me in MI that has the chalk cloth and directions for making the placemats, too! I'll try to get there soon.

In case anyone wants details on putting a pocket in it: http://www.habermanfabrics.com/proj_..._placemats.htm
    Kris

I got mine at www.sewmamasew.com I got samples of the Oilcloth at Denver Fabrics and I didn't like it nearly as much as the vinyl coated cotton. They also have Chalk Cloth, too, but get it local if you can as that stuff is heavy for shipping. I found a half yard of the 44 in fabric was enough for three chalkmats (12" x 17"). I made two already and will say that you definately need to use some sort of spray glue between the layers.

If you just do an elastic chalk holder like Nancy showed and double fold bias tape, it is maybe an hour for each one. There is really very little sewing involved.

HTH!

BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I got my material at Sewmamasew too! I think I posted about the material a while back on Around the house. The spray... I need to note the brand. I am getting ready to crawl into bed. I'll do it tomorrow.

I'll try to post another photo of the ribbon that ties the placemat. You just roll it up and tie it.

I made 18 and made them over the last month. We (DH &I) finished them all last night. Finally.

Nancy

Thanks to you both. I'm going to see what I can get local for the vinyl, too. Otherwise, I'll order.

I'm sure I'll have other questions once I start this, too. I'm glad to hear that each one won't take too long. No way would I attempt 18 though!!
    Kris

One thing I did slightly different from Nancy was to make the corners rounded. I used a roll of masking tape to make the same curve on each corner of the pattern (posterboard). That way I could use one continuous piece of binding. If you don't have a rotary cutter, it would be a good investment. They are not too expensive if you use a coupon at Joann. I used small binder clips to hold the binding on two sides to start and just shifted them along as I sewed. I sewed the elastic and ribbon on before the binding so they would be under it. I'll try and get pictures up soon!

Pictures would be great.

I do have a rotary cutter, but haven't used it much. I'll practice.

With the continuous piece of binding, do you end up with puckers as it curves around?
    Kris

If the curve isn't too sharp and you go slow you can do it without puckers. I would say about half the curves I did had small puckers, but not too obvious (I would probably be OK giving them as gifts to friends).

If you make a template from posterboard or cardboard then it is very quick to cut them with the rotary cutter and they will all be the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast