kristenk is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Someone who sews - help!

I'm trying to make a doll sling for my DD and one of her friends from playgroup. I'm following the instructions found here: http://www.getcreativeshow.com/Craft...doll_sling.htm

I've cut out all of the pieces, but I'm not understanding some of the instructions. Here's what I'm not getting:

For the sling pieces, when it says to sew edges together, is it talking about the sides that are 14" or the sides that are 20"? After that, it wants me to gather BOTH of the sides that are 20"? What does "fold" mean on the side opposite the gather line?

Can you tell I'm clueless? :)

I'd really like to make this. I have some extra fabric that should work and I'm going to be lending a Kozy carrier and a Pea-in-a-pod pouch to the mom of DD's friend (she has a 2-week-old). I thought that it would be nice for DD's friend to get her own pouch for her baby dolls. Thanks!

Default RE: Someone who sews - help!

Ok, let's see if I can help.
    The first piece - the fold line is for the fabric. So, essentially, for piece #1, you are cutting out two pieces of fabric that is double the width as shown on the pattern. Does that make sense?

After that, you sew all three of the four open ends, with the right sides of the fabric together. Turn to right side out and press. Sew the remaining fourth side. The instructions then call for top-stitching around the entire edge.

It looks to me like you need to gather each of the 20" sides of the now one piece (double-layer) rectangular piece of fabric.

Good luck!

I think what's throwing me off is that the instructions say to cut 2 pieces (on the fold) that are 14 x 10. The diagram shows a fold AND measurements of 14 x 20. That can't be right, right?

So, I put the right sides together of my two 14x20 pieces of fabric, sew three of the edges, flip it right-side out, press, and then turn the edge under (? or no) and sew the fourth side? Then top-stitch around the whole thing. Do I have it?

Care to try your luck on the Straps portion of instructions? :)

Default bump

I'm really feeling incompetent here... :(

I couldn't follow the instructions you were trying to use. Here is a link to a pattern that I used to make a pouch for me - the sizes are for adults but I don't think it would be hard to resize it for children. It is a simpler design than the one you are using and was quick and easy to make. I don't know if it will be any use to you as you have already cut out your fabric, but I hope that something works for you.

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/pouch.html

Good luck!
    Lindsay

DD 12/06
    DS 08/09

bchafin is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

It looks like the 14 x 10 is a typo. Just to help clarify,it looks like you should have 2 pieces that are 28 x 20 (you cut the 14 on the fold so it is double). Other than that, it looks like you got it. You do turn under the raw edge and top stitch. You then gather the 2 20 inch sides.

As for the strap portion, it appears that they make something that should be easy sound confusing. I'd cut the piece to what they say. Then on the 2 short ends they want you to fold it at 1/2" and top stitch. (This is so the ends will look finished.) I would not bother with their fold lines, I think that makes it sound confusing. I would then put right sides together and sew down your long edge. When you press it put the seam you created in the middle (This makes their fold lines).

You then take the sling part and tuck the gathered ends into the open ends of your strap and then top stitch.

I hope I was able to say all of that right. If you have any more problems, just ask.

HTH
    Barb

Default Thank you!

It totally makes sense when you describe it! Thanks for your help. :)