Default How would one make a Superman cape?

DS's 3rd birthday party is in just under a month, and i'm doing a superman theme. For favors, i'd love to give each of the 14 kids a red cape. I've looked online though, and i can't find any that i can afford to buy for everyone. You'd think they'd sell them made of that disposable tablecloth material or something. Has anyone seen anything like that anywhere?

Assuming i can't find them, i'm wondering how feasible it is to make capes. DS actually has one that i think is a great size, and it velcros around his neck. (You can see it at http://www.creative-edu.com/pages/pr...hp?prod_id=206.) I'm wondering if i can use that as a pattern and then buy many yards of red fabric and velcro and make some without sewing? I don't want to spend more than $4-5/kid, max. If this is doable...

1. Any idea what kind of material i should use? Fleece? Something else?
    2. Where's a good place to buy the fabric? I worry that offline stores may not have as much as i need in stock. DS's cape measures 46" across (although i can probably do 36" and still be fine), and 30" high.
    3. Looking at the pic, do you think it would be okay just cut out with pinking shears or something, or do i really need some sewing skills to do this right? Any tips anyone might be able to give me would be awesome.

Default RE: How would one make a Superman cape?

Here are some basic capes on eBay for $4.99....she doesn't charge shipping for 10 or more!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-HERO-CAPE-...QQcmdZViewItem

Good Luck!
    Erin

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd use felt. You don't need to finish the edges. Try and get fabric that is 72" wide, you should be able to get two capes per yard maybe even three if you lay them out tight enough.

Fabric Depot sells 72" felt for $6.99 a yard and right this moment they are having a 30% off on-line sales.
    https://www.fabricdepot.com/index.ph...ge&pageid=1992

If you get Joann coupons in the newspaper, they usually have 40-50% off coupons, which could be used on a single cut. If you could get 3 capes across, you would only need 5 yards. You should be able to get that in a B&M store.

You could buy a smaller piece of another colour to make the "S" and then fuse it on. Other than the velcro, this is definitely doable no sew project.

Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Thanks! What would be the difference between felt and fleece? I mean, i know what each one is, but why would felt make a better cape in your opinion?

I'm not sure i'll even do the logo... that way it can be a wonder woman cape, etc. Or i can make cape decoration a party activity, but for 3 yo's, that may be asking for trouble.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Neither need finishing but personally I think it would be a little easier to work with felt. And if I remember right, fleece is more expensive especially if you want the wider widths. Plus, I think felt looks more cape-like than fleece would be. If you left off the logo, that would make it super easy. They have felt stickers (should be near the foam ones), if you wanted to let the 3 year olds go to town with those. That would be pretty low mess.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08