Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: DIY Wings

Thanks Jennifer! That is a beautiful costume! I may be emailing you soon :-)
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

O.k., one more thing! I was at JoAnn's this afternoon, so I looked for the name of the fabric I usually get for the wings. It's called "Pearlized Sheer" (44" wide; regularly $7.99 per yard). During non-Halloween times they usually keep it near the dressier sheer fabrics. I have no clue if that's what it would be called or where it would be located at other fabric stores, but thought I'd mention it none-the-less!

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Miss Pure Energy 3/03
    Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
    Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hi Jennifer, I went to JoAnn's this weekend and saw the pearlized sheer. $8 seemed a lot though, so I found some organza that was the same shade yellow as the tulle I'm using for the tutu. I do have a question about the glue. Do you just use Elmer's and water it down? If I was doing paper mache I would normally use Mod Podge, but maybe that's a lot pricier than glue? It's been forever since I've bought either product.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

That's why I never buy it until it's on sale or I have a coupon! :D

Yes, I just use plain Elmer's (or generic white glue) thinned with water. I'm trying to think of something to compare the consistency too, but can't think of anything specific at the moment. Maybe like acrylic paint from a tube type consistency, I guess? I usually make it just thin enough to easily paint on--not so thick that the sponge brush drags and pulls the fabric up, but not so watery that it's more water than glue.

It's been so long since I've bought Mod Podge I don't know how much is costs these days! I can't remember if it is flexible when dry either, but if it is you could probably try it too. If it doesn't dry flexible, you'd run the risk of developing cracks in your wings if they're bent or squished. The glue is usually pretty forgiving.

The organza should work, but make sure the plastic wrap is nice and smooth underneath so you minimize the wrinkle impressions it can make on the fabric where the glue dries unevenly. The pearlized is usually pretty forgiving on that factor because of the iridescenst colors--a less iridescent finish might show the wrinkle impressions more.

Good luck!
    Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Miss Pure Energy 3/03
    Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
    Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

Default RE: Help me with Halloween?

What a cute idea. Don't forget baby legs. :)

http://store.babylegs.net/s.nl/it.A/...c=2&category=8
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2