sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default beginners knitting

I am finally going to learn to knit. I've ordered Knitting for Dummies, signed up at a local store for lessons, and bought the highly tempting Hanna cotton yarn.

What do I need to know? Any good patterns to start with? My goal is sweaters and things, but I'm not sure I will get to that point before this winter. And most of the books of patterns I've seen are for babies -- any for toddlers and young children?

TIA!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

christic Guest

Default RE: beginners knitting

I like to browse the patterns at www.theknittinggarden.com Rowan and Debbie Bliss especially. The Rowan Babies book actually has patterns up to age 5. I'm almost done with a poncho out of there and they have some really cute boy stuff too. At Knitting Garden you can also search the patterns by type and pull a list of boy patterns (mostly sweaters) or find a some hat/mitten/scarf patterns for kids under Misc. Difficulty levels are shown also.

It also helps to find some other people to knit with once the class is over.

Good luck!

This is so confusing! I have my first class Monday.

How much yard do projects usually take? I was looking at the Debbie Bliss cashmerino on ebay and they sell in packs of 10.
    shannon
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

christic Guest

Well of course it depends on the project but most will not take as much as 10. If you look here http://www.theknittinggarden.com/db-bookbabycash.htm at the hooded striped top the biggest size fits a toddler 12-18 mos and only needs six skeins, 3 in each of the colors. Knitters are known though for collecting yarn they don't quite know what to do with ;). Baby cashmerino makes great booties (that usually doesn't even take up 1 skein) so it can be nice to just have around.

Good luck at your class!

Good, they were going to quickly get unaffordable!

I learned to cast on and knit and purl today and it looked really pretty! I got lots of compliments from all the ladies at the shop. Guess all that suturing prepped me for something! I'm making a scarf as my homework project. I also stopped by the library and picked up half a dozen pattern books. I am hooked already. I wish I could start a sweater now! That pattern you linked to was one I was eyeing earlier -- it would be perfect for Jack. I'll have to start looking for sales on yarn.
    shannon
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Shannon, check out www.elann.com. You have to watch the yardage on the yarn (a skein is not always a skein) but they have some wonderful specialty yarns at great prices. No, I don't knit, but I crochet, and crocheters collect yarn, too!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A friend has this site: http://woolywonder.com/

I don't know how prices compare or how the classes work b/c I can't purl yet, but I thought you might want to check it out.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif