Default Questions on transitioning from bottle to cup....

Hi all.... DS is now 1 (I can't believe it!) and I want to be done with bottles. I have a couple of questions though....

1. DS wakes up hungry in the morning, and I usually give him a bottle around 6, and then he eats breakfast at daycare around 8 which is a huge timesaver for us. Should I just give him some milk in a cup when he wakes up? Or try to get him to wait an hour or two for breakfast?

2. How much liquiid (milk, water, etc) should he be drinking in a day?

3. In what order did you take away bottles? We're down to 2 right now, the first one of the day and the last one of the day. Last night, I gave him formula/milk in a sippy cup (we're also gradually getting him used to milk too)and he didn't seem to miss the bottle too much, but he did not go to sleep as quickly as he normally does. Do you think it's related?

Edited to add:
    $. I am also thinking of trying to break the paci habit... would that be too much all at one time?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

Default RE: Questions on transitioning from bottle to cup....

bumping this up....

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We haven't weaned b/c Diego is only 10 months but I would give up a sippy in the morning and not make him wait until breakfast....he would be sooo hungry IMO.....

It sounds like you are doing good so far since you are already down to two bottles.

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've never weaned anyone off a pacifier, but my personal opinion is that it would be too much to do that while you are weaning off bottles. I would tackle them one at a time. Too many changes at once are bound to be hard on your son (and you!).

Default We are struggling with this as well....

We've been giving DS the sippy cup with diluted apple juice since 9 months. Well, he never drank very much from it- he would just bite it etc. Well now that he's almost one & I was getting nervous- so we tried to switch one of his formula feeds from bottle to sippy cup. Well that was a disaster!. I don't know if you've ever tasted formula but it's horrible. I think DS just tolerates it in the bottle because he's used to it. So after that didn't work, 2 days ago we tried chocolate whole milk ( Other moms have had success with this). Well It's starting to work. Yesterday he drank 6 oz from his sippy cup. Our plan is to swtich him over to all sippy cup over the next couple of weeks. Once he's a pro at the sippy cup I'll gradually decrease the amount of chocolate we add.

Wish us luck!!