Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    papal Guest

Default How many of you Bfing moms take your prenatal vitamins everyday??

.. my midwife told me to keep taking them everyday as long as i was bfing and i forgot. i just discovered a stack of them while organizing all the meds. they are the ones which you have to take a morning one and an evening one. does not taking it affect the baby's growth in anyway? just wondering since leela is so tiny. my dad (who is a doc) does not believe in vitamins... he says it is all humbug.. you should get your vitamins thru food not pills. i don't know who to believe anymore!!
    anyway.. do all of you take your pre-natal vitamins everyday??

Default RE: How many of you Bfing moms take your prenatal vitamins everyday??

I do, mainly because I'm bad about getting enough calcium without them. Also, I haven't started to give Caleb vitamins yet and I figure having the extra nutrients for me is better than having to give him a huge dropperful of those awful tasting drops! I think I'll just keep taking mine since I'll probably try for #2 shortly after Caleb weans himself (hopefully not too soon!)
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i take a BUNCH of vitamins every day (twice daily).

i am taking a women's vitamin from gnc, fish oil, soy lecithin, calcium, and vitamin c.

ETA: it's Women's Ultra Mega from GNC that i take. You can get them with or without iron. i used to do without iron, but now i get with iron, because i was feeling tired and thought that might help.

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

Vajrastorm Guest

I don't take any vitamins (I forget) but if I could remember I'd be taking regular multis and not prenatal. Too much iron in prenatals for my taste.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I didn't for a long while, but started again because I was just feeling so run down. I'd love to say I was eating perfectly and getting everything through food, but I'm just not. The vitamins for me are a good backup.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I agree with the others. My eating habits vary wildly from pretty good to not-so-good, so the vitamins are a good back-up for us. As a side note, I'm still not getting sick at all this year, and DH has been a few times-- I give credit to the vitamins :)
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

I hated my prescribed prenatal, so I've been taking a vitamin that has all kinds of goodies in it back since I first got pregnant. It has extra beta carotene in it also. I take fish oil everyday, lecithin and calcium. I also try to eat pretty well, but sometimes fall short. I agree with your dad to a certain extent on making sure that vitamins and minerals come from food but I like the reassurance that I'm getting a steady dose of a daily supplement! :)

I take the Slow FE iron every other day with a vitamin C too. The iron in the prenatal was bad for my system and this brand of iron is awesome for me. I had my iron taken at the ob the other day and it is great! I am a pseudo-veg so this is important for me to maintain.

And let's not forget the acidophilus that I take every other day now to keep the bacteria healthy! :)
    Mom to R and R

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I stopped taking my pre-natal vitamins about a month after Ellie was born (when my prescription ran out). Before I was PG, I took a One-a-Day for women along with folic acid, so I've just resumed taking those vitamins. I eat pretty well, so I just think of them as "insurance."

That said, I wouldn't worry about it if you haven't been taking vitamins. I really don't think it's a big deal.

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am still taking my prenatal vitamin every day. Just the kind you can buy in the store, not a prescription.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

I do (the generic prenatal at Target - much cheaper than my copay for the prescription ones) just because I feel drained if I don't. Don't worry though, your body will sacrafice your OWN stored nutirents to make sure your baby gets everything she needs. I'm not a big believer in vitamins, but it's kind of like insurance for me since some days I don't feel like preparing a perfectly balanced meal (like the days I pop a frozen pizza in the oven and call it dinner!)

Lisa

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast